18-month-old boy almost dies after eating seagull poo

An 18-month-old boy spent 19 days in the hospital suffering from kidney failure after eating seagull droppings in his yard.

Jaydon Pritchard has since been released from the hospital but is still taking a cocktail with medication and is “still not out of the woods”.

Grandparents Arwel and Christine take care of Jaydon with his mother Tiffany in their home in Amlwch, Anglesey, reports NorthWalesLive.

Arwel said Jaydon got sick in early April and they took him to a doctor when he was unwell on April 6.

Jaydon was rushed to Ysbyty Gwynedd District Hospital in Bangor, but doctors thought he had a virus and he was sent home.

Arwel said the next day that Jaydon “did nothing but sleep and be sick” until they heard a “terrible noise from his bed”.

Jaydon with his grandparents Arwel and Christine (Image: Arwel Pricthard)

Arwel said, “He was having a seizure so we called for an ambulance right away. He had another seizure before the ambulance got there and three more on the way to the hospital. It was like looking through you. I realize nobody.

“There was a point where we really thought we were going to lose him. It was horrible.”

Jaydon was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd, then doctors from Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool were sent to pick him up.

18-month-old boy almost dies after eating seagull poo 1

The 18 year old spent 19 days at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool (Image: Arwel Pritchard)

Jaydon was put on a dialysis machine and received three blood transfusions.

Arwel said, “The doctors diagnosed him with kidney failure and told us that he had E. coli poisoning from ingesting the gull’s droppings.

“We feared the worst when we saw that his little body was connected to the dialysis machine and his face was turning yellow.”

Christine said, “I clean the patio every day, but it’s difficult because the seagulls nest nearby and it’s a constant mess to clean up,” she said.

“Poor Jaydon is on all sorts of medications now. We just hope he doesn’t have any permanent problems. He’s still not himself, he’s still pretty gray, but he’s getting there.

“Young children put things by their mouths all the time and we hope this ordeal can remind parents and guardians that their children are playing in a safe environment, especially when they are outside.”

Jaydon will have to return to both hospitals several times over the coming weeks and months.

.

Leave a Comment