All the Brexit changes to Universal Credit, benefits and pensions this January

The Ministry of Labor and Pensions has confirmed a number of changes to the social security system as a result of Brexit.

After the new withdrawal agreement between Great Britain and the EU after last minute negotiations, Brexit has finally occurred.

As of January 1, 2021, the UK will no longer be part of the European Union and there are a number of consequences for social benefits such as: Universal credit and child support.

1. Five-year ban on universal credit

A Brexit benefits ban will be imposed to prevent people coming to the UK from receiving income-related social security payments such as Universal credit for five years.

EU migrants arriving in the UK from January 1st will be treated the same as non-EU migrants.

EU citizens who already live in the UK and those from Ireland are not affected.

EU migrants could make claims until December 31, 2020, when the transition period ended earnings-related benefits to come here within their first year.

By leaving the EU, the government was able to change the regulations so that all migrants arriving after January 1, 2021 are treated equally.

Labor and Pensions Minister Thérèse Coffey said: “We have fulfilled our manifest commitment to restore fair access to our welfare system by treating EU and non-EU migrants equally.

“It is both right and fair that people who make the UK their home pay into the tax system for a reasonable period of time before they are allowed access to the benefit system.”

2. Child benefit blocked

EU migrants who come to the UK after January 1st cannot claim child benefit for five years.

And if there is a major rule change, they will no longer be entitled to child benefit for any of their children who are still outside the UK.

It does not affect anyone from the EU who already lives in the UK.

3. Winter fuel payments have ceased

The DWP said EU migrants who come to the UK after January 1 are not eligible for winter fuel payments.

These are automatic payments between £ 100 and £ 300 for heating bills for anyone born on or before October 5, 1954.

Typically, recipients must have lived in the UK for at least one day each year during a “qualifying week” (for 2020 it was September 21-27).

Before Brexit, the winter fuel payment could also be paid to those from the EU who weren’t here during qualification week but have “a real and sufficient connection with the UK” – this could include living or working in the UK or living in the UK for family in Great Britain.

However, after Brexit, the payment will not be made to EU citizens starting a new life in the UK.

4. State pension entitlements are retained

According to the DWP, if you move to the EU, EEA or Switzerland you can still get your UK State Pension and you can still claim your UK State Pension from those countries.

The EEA (European Economic Area) consists of the member states of the European Union (EU) and three countries of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway; with the exception of Switzerland).

Your UK state pension will be increased each year in the EU at the rate paid in the UK.

You can also count relevant social security contributions in EU countries to qualify for a UK state pension.

Attendance Allowance – Usually every 4 weeks

Care allowance – Weekly in advance or every 4 weeks

Child benefit – Usually every 4 weeks – or weekly if you are a single parent or if you or your partner are receiving certain benefits

Housing allowance for the disabled – Usually every 4 weeks

Labor and Support Allowance – Typically every 2 weeks

Income Support – Usually every 2 weeks

Unemployment benefit – Usually every 2 weeks

Pension Credit – Typically every 4 weeks

Personal Independence Payment – Usually every 4 weeks

State Pension – Usually every 4 weeks

Tax credits, such as B. Labor Tax Credits – Every week or every 4 weeks

Universal Loan – Every Month (Except Scotland and Northern Ireland)

This guide applies to UK nationals, but the same state pension rules apply to everyone regardless of nationality or when you move.

The government says Brexit shouldn’t have an impact on UK workplace pensions paid to ex-pats now living abroad.

Your bank should contact you if they need to change the way you receive your employment pension because the UK has left the EU.

5. Changes in services when moving to the EU

If you are moving or are considering moving from the UK to an EU, EEA country or Switzerland on or after January 1, 2021, the rules for paying UK benefits in those countries have changed.

If you are eligible, the following benefits and payments can be made while you live in the EU:

  • Maternity allowance

  • Statutory Maternity Benefit and Statutory Paternity Benefit

  • Bereavement assistance and other bereavement services

  • Benefits in the event of accidents at work

  • Statutory sick pay

Social security contributions that you pay when working in an EU country can help you be eligible for some UK benefits – including during times that you are back in the UK New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance and New Style Employment and Support Allowance.

For more information, see the government guidelines too where to pay your social security contributions if you work in the EU.

Universal credit is the biggest change in the welfare system in a generation.

But what exactly is it and how does the system work? Here is everything you need below. Follow the links below to learn more.

1. What is universal credit?

Universal credit is a new social security benefit approved in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 and first published in 2013. It was introduced for all employment offices by the end of 2018.

It replaces six existing benefits, now referred to as “Legacy Benefits”. For more information, please click the link above.

2. Universal Loan Calculator – How Much You Will Get

The amount you will receive is calculated according to various factors.

The government says if you have children, have a disability, or need help with paying your rent, you may be eligible for additional amounts on top of the standard allowance. For more information, please click the link above.

3. Universal creditworthiness and application

Under the qualification criteria, you must have a low income or be unemployed.

And it is important to take into account that your partner’s income and savings are taken into account, even if they are not applying for benefits themselves. Learn more about eligibility by clicking the link above.

4. How often is it paid and how does the online account work?

TWO accounts are required to receive Universal Credit.

One is a Universal Credit online account that can view your details (such as the date of your next payment), the other is a payment account with a bank or building society where the government deposits your money. For more information, please click the link above.

5. Universal Credit contact numbers if you need help

There are some special helpline numbers you can call if you need help. They have been changed to free phone numbers so there are no charges for calls. For more information, please click the link above.

6. How to change your payments if you have problems

Applicants need to be aware that the first payment will not be received until five weeks after an application – and every month thereafter.

If you’re not used to waiting a whole month for your payment, this can be tricky. But there is a little known way of working around that. For more information, please click the link above

7. What to do if your universal loan payments are cut?

There are cases where the Ministry of Labor and Pensions will impose sanctions on applicants for breaking the rules, such as failing to show up for appointments at the work center.

In such cases, the universal loan can be reduced or stopped entirely. Click the link above to find out what to do.

The rules for those who move permanently are still being updated Norway, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

If you move temporarily, e.g. For a limited period of time, eg for medical treatment, you can receive some benefits abroad as long as you meet the criteria.

British already live in The EU, the EEA or Switzerland can advance until December 31, 2020 any UK benefits they are already receiving while they still meet the eligibility requirements.

They may also be able to reapply some benefits in the UK from January 1, 2021, but may be required to provide evidence that they lived abroad by December 31, 2020.


Leave a Comment