The Army could be enlisted to provide additional capacity for door-to-door Covid-19 testing in Birmingham.
Recent figures show that the number of infections in the city has increased in the past five days. 500 council employees were transferred to the “drop and collect” test service.
The initiative involves going door-to-door in high-risk areas, where test kits are offered for people with or without symptoms. However, the city council has announced that it has held talks with the military to increase capacity MirrorOnline.
Councilor Brigid Jones, vice chairwoman of the city council, said at a meeting of the West Midlands Combined Authority, “We have spoken to the military about giving us additional dropping and gathering capacity.”
“It’s a lot more capacity, foot-on-the-ground sense. It’s literally just to aid the civilian effort and we’ll be able to confirm whether or not they’ll provide additional capacity next week not and how that could work. “
Ms. Jones added, “We are doing this because these are areas that have very high levels of Covid and we believe there may be asymptomatic people and other people in the community who have not accessed tests.”
Around 6.7 percent of the tests are now positive, as more cases between the ages of 20 and 40 have occurred across Birmingham.
“Our request to residents would be if one of our staff knock on your door, please take the opportunity to take a test,” said Ms. Jones.
Meanwhile, a teenage boy was arrested in Birmingham after allegedly assaulting an officer when the police were called to a house party.
West Midlands police said they had been called to the Oscott party, which was attended by between 20 and 30 people. The force received 18 calls for violations of pandemic laws between 10 p.m. and midnight, mainly due to house parties.
Due to regulatory violations, officers had to employ approximately 550 people from more than 20 locations in the West Midlands. Eight locations had to have their licenses checked.
At around midnight, officials closed a pub in Birmingham that was hosting a wedding reception with around 60 guests about two hours after it was closed due to new coronavirus restrictions.
“It’s very simple – stay at home, stay safe,” the troupe added in a tweet.
On Friday evening, police said about 450 people attending large gatherings were being moved while another 250 people were forced to leave an event at a city hotel.