Boris Johnson warns 'everybody’s got to be vigilant' as threat level raised following Liverpool hospital bomb

Boris Johnson urged the public to be “vigilant” after the terrorist threat in Britain was raised to severe following an explosion outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

Speaking at a press conference on Downing Street, the Prime Minister said: “On the advice of JTac (Joint Terrorism Analysis Center) we are moving from substantial to serious.” This means that further attacks are seen as likely.

He said, “This simply reflects the number of failed or successful attacks we’ve seen over the past few weeks and months.

READ MORE: Boris breaks promise to build the entire HS2

“But as you know, these gradations are bumping around – substantial, serious – and what we are telling the public as a result of what happened in Liverpool is that everyone must be vigilant.”

He added: “What showed yesterday in particular is that the British people are never intimidated by terrorism, we will never give in to those who try to divide us with senseless acts of violence.

“And our freedoms and our way of life will always prevail.”

Downing Street has refused to speculate on the motives for the attack. Mr. Johnson chaired a COBRA meeting with police and security officials today.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the attack had “very significant impact on the entire community” in Liverpool and that her thoughts were with the people of the city.

She told the broadcasters: “There is a live investigation going on at the moment. They will need the time and space to do the work that they do in relation to the investigation into the incident.

“But of course we as the government, I as Interior Minister, continue to work with everyone when it comes to the security of our country and to ensure that we take all the necessary steps.”

A suspected terrorist blew himself up with a homemade bomb in a taxi outside a Liverpool hospital on Remembrance Sunday while the driver who escaped alive was branded a hero.

Police have declared a car explosion in front of Liverpool Women’s Hospital just before 11 a.m. on Sunday as a terrorist attack, but the motive is unclear. So far, four men have been arrested under the Terrorism Act in the Kensington neighborhood of Liverpool – three aged 21, 26 and 29 who were arrested on Sunday and one man aged 20 who was arrested on Monday.

The taxi driver, locally called David Perry, was hospitalized after escaping from the car just before it went up in flames and has now been released.

He was praised by the Prime Minister for his conduct with “incredible presence of mind and bravery” and by the Mayoress of Liverpool, Joanne Anderson, for his “heroic efforts”.


Leave a Comment