Boy's eye stuck shut for four days after dad's superglue mistake

A nine-year-old boy was left with his eyes closed for four days after his father mistook superglue for eye drops.

Rupert Day, 9, had prescribed eye drops after he got an itchy eye, and Papa Kevin took a tube – he thought it was the drug – before putting something in his son’s eye.

Then he discovered that it was actually superglue, reports TeessideLive.

“Rupert scratched his eye and we got eye cream,” Kevin said.

“I went to bring it in and then I found that I had injected superglue in his eye instead.

“I called 999 who advised us to keep flushing it and they said an ambulance was on the way.

“I didn’t expect the ambulance.”

Yorkshire Air Ambulance dispatched their plane due to the proximity of the air force base and paramedics bathed Rupert’s eye and administered pain relief before the rural ambulance arrived and took him to Harrogate Hospital for further treatment.

“I was very scared that I blinded my son and ruined his life,” said Kevin.

Rupert spent a few hours in the hospital but couldn’t open his eye for four tense days.

He said, “I was worried my eye would open again.”

Fortunately, no glue had damaged his eye and his vision was perfectly fine after the ordeal.

Rupert will be featured in Helicopter ER, which will air Tuesday November 2nd at 10pm on Channel Really.

Yorkshire Air Ambulance serves five million people across Yorkshire and conducts more than 1,3,000 missions each year.

The charity operates two Airbus H145 helicopters and has to raise £ 12,000 a day to continue saving lives.

.

Leave a Comment