A bride died at her wedding after she went into anaphylactic shock believed to have been ’caused by a nut allergy.’
Alexandra Erokhova, 25, died after suffering an extreme reaction during the reception at a Russian palace.
The bride was said to have eaten sweet dishes at the meal immediately following her nuptials.
Shocked guests rushed to assist the bride as she “began to suffocate at the table”.
They called an ambulance to a banquet hall at Tsaritsyno Palace, in Moscow, where the wedding party was held.
A resuscitation team arrived but “was unable to save the bride”, according to Russian reports.
Doctors said the bride had suffered “anaphylactic shock” believed to be caused by a nut allergy.
The wedding was held at a lavish palace founded by Catherine the Great, and her family claimed they had warned caterers of the bride’s allergies.
Alexandra had suffered from a nut allergy since childhood and the cooks were informed in advance, according to her relatives.
Reports claimed the sweet dishes the bride ate from did contain nuts, although it was not specified which type.
Alexandra had studied banking and finance at the elite Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration in Moscow.
Police are understood to be investigating the tragedy.
According to Allergy UK, peanut allergies affect around one in 50 children in the UK and can be deadly in cases of severe reactions.
Such allergies have been found to be on the increase over the past decade.
Researchers are still working to understand why.
According to Allergy UK, most children tend to outgrow peanut allergies in particular by the age of five.
Medics usually urge people who live with the allergy in Britain to carry around adrenaline shots in case of anaphylaxis.
Mild to moderate symptoms of anaphylactic shock include:
- Itchy mouth, tongue and throat
- Swelling of lips, around the eyes or face
Red raised itchy rash (often called nettle rash, hives or urticaria)
- Vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhoea
- Runny nose and sneezing
If a person with a nut allergy shows these signs of a severe allergy, anyone with them must call 999:
- Swelling of the tongue and/or throat
- Difficulty in swallowing or speaking
- Change in voice (hoarse voice)
- Wheeze (whistling noise) or persistent cough
- Difficult or noisy breathing
- Dizziness, collapse, loss of consciousness (due to a drop in blood pressure)
- Pale, floppy, sudden sleepiness in babies.