Cannabis 'edibles' warning after three children taken ill

Three children fell ill in various incidents after eating cannabis-infused candy.

An eight-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl from Great Horton, Bradford, were married on Saturday April 4th.

Police said they had consumed so-called “edibles” – sweets containing THC, the psychoactive chemical in cannabis that causes intoxication.

In another incident, a 15-year-old boy, also from Great Horton, was reported to be hospitalized on Saturday afternoon after eating food YorkshireLive.

Despite initial “serious concerns” about the health of the youngest child, all three have since recovered from their symptoms.

West Yorkshire Police have opened an investigation into how the children came into possession of the drugs.

Superintendent Richard Padwell said, “These incidents are obviously a cause for concern. Although the affected children have recovered after hospital treatment, there were initially real concerns for the youngest child that we might have expected a tragic outcome.

“We have known for some time that cannabis edibles have been in circulation, and our neighborhood police teams and other specialist officers have been actively campaigning against those involved in their care, with arrests and seizures and investigations ongoing.

“These recent incidents in which the health of children has been endangered clearly illustrates the dangers of this particular form of cannabis.

“These ‘edibles’ are professionally packaged like popular confectionery brands, which makes them attractive to children, but often contain a very high dose of THC, the active ingredient in cannabis, which makes people feel very uncomfortable very quickly.

“We urge parents and carers to ensure that these articles are circulated in our communities, identify the risks, and report any concerns or information to us.

“We are working with our partner organizations, including local schools, to raise awareness of the problem as part of our ongoing efforts to protect young people from using this and other drugs.

“At the same time, we will continue to proactively target those involved in the delivery of these items and ensure they face the appropriate criminal penalties.”

Anyone with information about any food or similar item in circulation in Bradford should contact the police on 101.

Information can also be given anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

You can find more stories from where you live at Near you.


Leave a Comment