Couple and baby saved from death on first night of caravan holiday by dad's last gasp check

A couple with a new baby nearly died on the first night of their trailer vacation.

Amber Yates said her young family almost lost their lives when she issued a carbon monoxide warning.

Amber, James, baby Elliot and dog Oakley were traveling from Lancashire on vacation in their trailer.

CONTINUE READINGNew long covid symptom discovered and affecting millions

Shortly after arriving, they had to leave their trailer at 3 a.m. after being woken up by the piercing sound of their carbon monoxide alarm. LancsLive Report.

James needed hospital treatment after the trailer stay.

Amber said, “In the early hours of yesterday morning, myself, my husband James, our six week old baby Elliot, and our spaniel Oakley had a near death experience.

“We drove 200 miles in our trailer to meet a group of friends we hadn’t seen in a while. We like to go out with our trailer every weekend, but we had a little break with a baby.

“In the early hours of Sunday morning, we were woken up by our carbon monoxide alarm shortly after 3 a.m.

“The number on the alarm clock was 90 when we woke up, but in the two minutes it took us to grab the baby and get out of the van, the monitor read over 200.

“We fled the van and woke up our friends, who took us in without hesitation. After breathing some fresh air, we realized how uncomfortable it was. Our chest was very tight and it was painful to breathe.”

Amber said, “We were told that if carbon monoxide levels were above 50, symptoms would be expected and levels above 150 would be life threatening, numbers much lower than those we have been exposed to.

Stay up to date with the latest news from your street with our Birmingham News email updates.

“We’d been unknowingly walking around with no batteries in our carbon monoxide detector for a while, without thinking about it, because it’s just one of those things that ‘happens to someone else’.

“That morning we went to Wetherspoons for breakfast, which wasn’t like us, then we saw an Aldi that James stopped by and while we remembered Elliot’s Ewan sheep had been used a lot lately, he caught up a few batteries for the sheep, something we normally put off for a long time.

“That afternoon, for some reason, James thought of checking the carbon monoxide detector to see that it had no batteries and put three AA batteries on the alarm – only 12 hours later it saved our lives.”

Stay up to date on day trips, going out, shopping and more with our daily email updates.

.

Leave a Comment