Couple's romantic Lake District getaway ends in extensive rescue mission

A couple climbing a mountain in the Lake District saw their romantic walk end in a five-hour rescue mission – on their second date.

The nameless couple had planned to drive to Sharp Edge on Blencathra on Saturday afternoon (November 21), but decided to turn back due to the slippery conditions.

But while they were making their quick descent, the man slipped and fell nearly 200 feet before landing on a ledge.

His date was then left trapped on the rock as she couldn’t go up or down.

The couple in their forties were brought to safety after a five hour rescue operation with 25 volunteers from the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team.

The man was then taken by helicopter to Glasgow Hospital, where he is being treated for his injuries, while the woman was uninjured.

Despite the dramatic events, a third date is already in the works.

A rescue team spokesman said, “A couple decided on their second date to climb Sharp Edge on Blencathra.

“In slippery conditions halfway through, they wisely made the decision not to continue down the ridge but unfortunately tried to descend from the ridge towards Scales Tarn.

“The man slipped and fell from one part.

“Instinctively, he stretched out his arms to avoid tipping over and quickly slipped and tumbled down the steep rocky slope until he came to rest on a ledge about 60 meters below.

“His partner was then stuck on the rock and couldn’t go up or down.

“Apparently, despite the drama of their second date, a third has already been discussed.”

Couple's romantic Lake District getaway ends in extensive rescue mission 1

Due to the adverse circumstances, the helicopter support could not reach the scene, so a team of 25 volunteers from the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team split into two groups to rescue the couple.

Rescuers said that because the man was trying not to fall, he “slipped quickly” until he fell on a ledge.

A passerby also helped the man and gave him extra clothes to keep him warm while they waited for the rescuers to arrive.

The spokesman added: “Thank you to the passerby who came to the man’s rescue and gave him extra clothes to wear while waiting for the rescue team. The man’s flashlight was very useful in locating the victim.

“On arrival, a group house was used to protect the victim from the increasingly harsh weather.

“The man’s successful attempts not to fall, thereby avoiding potentially more serious injuries, meant all of the effects were on his lower back, ribs, and leg.”


Leave a Comment