Dad warns 'Christian Eriksen was lucky – my 12-year-old Oliver was not'

A father bravely told Prime Minister Boris Johnson in an open letter: “Christian Eriksen was lucky – my son wasn’t.”

In a moving letter, Mark King says that all schools need life-saving defibrillators.

He told the Mirror: “The world was shocked by the harrowing scenes in which Christian Eriksen collapsed on the pitch during Saturday’s Denmark-Finland match.

CONTINUE READING:The reason hay fever is so bad this year has been revealed by the Met Office as some are suffering from it for the first time

Fortunately, the quick action of his teammates, the top-notch medical staff, and most importantly, the availability of a defibrillator saved his life. Eriksen was lucky. It wasn’t my son. “

Oliver died in 2011 and Mark said, “My son did an excellent job in school and was phenomenal at sport. This hidden heart disease took him away from us. SADS kills 12 young people a week and yet, surprisingly, defibrillators are not compulsory in all schools. “

Oliver, 12, died of Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS) on March 2, 2011 after suffering cardiac arrest in a swimming competition at King David High School in Liverpool.

The letter goes on to say, “For now, the Ministry of Education only recommends that all schools have access to life-saving defibrillators. That just doesn’t go far enough and the case of Christian Eriksen is a clear reminder of the importance of the availability of life-saving defibrillators.

“However, the lives of young people will continue to be jeopardized until the legislator makes defibrillators mandatory in everyday school life. Without your intervention, many more young people are at risk of unnecessary death. You are not given the same chance as with Christian. ”Eriksen.

“Oliver should have celebrated his 22nd birthday this year and we are still fighting every day to change the law.

“He died needlessly, but you can prevent even more children from being left to the same fate by realizing that Oliver’s heartbreaking death was very preventable – if only the right equipment was there to save him.”

.

Leave a Comment