For six years, grief-stricken Ghyslain Wattrelos has been chasing answers about what happened to Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 – and he believes it was shot down.
He lost his wife, Laurence, 51, and two of his children, Hadrien, 17, and Ambre, 13, when the doomed jet disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.
The leading theory is the pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, deliberately crashed the Boeing 777 in a remote part of the Indian Ocean after carefully planning the murder-suicide.
But Mr Wattrelos, 55, is convinced the plane was brought down on a foreign government’s orders to eliminate something or someone on board.
Sign up to get the Mirror’s biggest and best stories delivered straight to your inbox at www.mirror.co.uk/email.
No evidence has emerged to support his theory, and Malaysia’s official investigation concluded that the cause of the disappearance cannot be determined.
Speaking from Paris, Mr Wattrelos, an engineer and business executive, told Mirror Online: “I will never have the proof. People are talking to me and telling me things, but the problem is the proof.”
He added: “Six years later we are still at the same place. We don’t have a clue what happened, no clue at all.
“The only thing we know, it’s a big lie. They have been lying to us for years and years and years. It is a manipulation.”
“They know exactly what happened.
“Somebody has decided to kill my family, maybe it’s for a good reason. Is it to avoid another 9/11?
“It’s a dirty, dirty case. There is a cover-up.
“The plane was shot down. There was something and someone on this plane that should not arrive in Beijing, but I don’t know why yet.”
Flight MH370 was carrying 239 passengers and crew when it went off course and disappeared on an overnight flight.
Mr Wattrelos was flying to Beijing to meet his wife, son and daughter when MH370 disappeared.
When he stepped off the flight from Paris he was stopped by two French diplomats, who told him the jet was missing.
He finds it hard to believe that a plane could just vanish and believes it must have been picked up by military radar.
He has called for the underwater search to resume in a new area, and on the journalists around the world to spend more time investigating the disappearance.
Over the years, scattered pieces of debris have washed up on African beaches and Indian Ocean islands.
Many families of those on board feel forgotten due to the lack of answers and significant developments since the underwater search was halted in January 2017 without pinpointing a crash location.
Some relatives, including Mr Wattrelos, continue a desperate hunt for the truth, but fear it will never emerge in their lifetime.
He is still chasing leads and scraping together bits of information by speaking to people currently or previously employed by governments or in the aviation industry.
“The hunger is still there.
“There is only one independent investigation going on and it is in France.
“We have judges trying to find out what happened.
“I am working with people every day, every week to find information.
“The more we dig, the more we see that there is a problem.
“It’s a little bit difficult, but we are still pushing for that.”
Mr Wattrelos is desperate to get answers for his surviving son, Alex, now 26.
He has written a book which is being turned into a TV series due to air next year.
He said: “We cannot accept what they are telling us. We cannot just say, ‘yes, this plane has disappeared’.
“This plane has not disappeared, it is not a mystery, so please tell us what happened.
“This is my fight. I want to tell to my son what happened, why someone has decided to take his mother, his brother and his sister.”
He added: “I’m just asking those people to speak out loud with whatever media or myself and tell us what happened.
“We all need to know what happened. We are all taking planes every day.
“We need to understand why it was shot down, for what reason. Was it a good reason or a bad reason?”
New governments in Malaysia have not brought the families of the passengers and crew any closer to the truth.
Mr Wattrelos said: “I do not believe a minute of the official investigation. I do not believe anything coming from Malaysia, Australia, the UK or the US.
“I don’t accept that the media is still saying that we don’t know. A plane like that cannot disappear.”
Every year, a memorial is held in Kuala Lumpur on the anniversary of the plane’s disappearance.
Mr Wattrelos has travelled to Malaysia for past anniversaries, but this year decided to stay home.
Malaysia’s official investigation into the MH370 mystery concluded in July 2018 that the cause of the disappearance cannot be determined.
It said the “possibility of intervention by a third party cannot be excluded”.
But the findings were rejected by the families of passengers and crew, and international aviation experts.
In February, Australia’s former prime minister, Tony Abbott, said Malaysia’s government secretly believed “very early on” it was a mass murder-suicide orchestrated by the captain.
Malaysia hit back at the claims, saying there was no evidence to support the murder-suicide theory and the exact cause of the disappearance cannot be determined because the plane is still missing.
Last year, a lifelong friend and fellow pilot said Shah, MH370’s captain, likely locked his inexperienced co-pilot out of the cockpit and deliberately crashed the passenger jet into the remote Indian Ocean.
There was a suspicion that Shah – who flew a similar path on his flight simulator at home – was clinically depressed.
His voice was heard in the final radio communication less than two minutes before the plane began to divert from its flight path.
He said: “Good night. Malaysian three-seven-zero.”
The electrical system was deliberately turned off, making the plane impossible to track by satellite.
Malaysia, China, and Australia, called off a two-year, £100million underwater search in the southern Indian Ocean in January 2017 after finding no trace of the aircraft.
A second three-month search, led by Ocean Infinity, ended similarly in May the following year.
Malaysia recently said it had not received any new credible evidence to initiate a new search.