COPENHAGEN – The Danish government plans to dig up minks that have been singled out to prevent the spread of the coronavirus after some reappeared from mass graves.
Denmark ordered that all mink farmed be killed earlier this month after it was found that 12 people were infected with a mutated strain of the virus that causes COVID-19, which passed from humans to mink and back to humans.
The decision resulted in 17 million animals being destroyed last week and the Minister of Food and Agriculture Mornings Jensen stepping down after the order was found to be illegal.
Dead mink was thrown into trenches in a military area in western Denmark and covered with two meters of earth. But hundreds have started resurfacing, which authorities say is gas from their decomposition. Newspapers have called them “zombie mink”.
Jensen’s successor, Rasmus Prehn, said on Friday that he supported the idea of digging up and burning the animals. He said he asked the environmental protection agency if this was possible. Parliament should be briefed on the issue on Monday.
The macabre tombs, which are guarded 24 hours a day to keep people and animals away, have sparked complaints from local residents about potential health risks.
Authorities say there is no risk of the graves spreading the coronavirus, but locals fear possible contamination of drinking water and a lake less than 200 meters away.