Dog needs emergency surgery after swallowing 18cm skewer

A cocker spaniel had to undergo life-saving surgery after swallowing an 18 cm chicken kebab skewer.

Bobby, 10 years old, nearly died when the wooden skewer was pinched and pierced his stomach lining.

Doncaster owner Julie Sykes saw the spiky skewer disappear into Bobby’s throat as he took it from her son Harvey as the family celebrated Harvey’s 11th birthday with a takeaway dinner.

Unsurprisingly, Bobby quickly became uncomfortable and reluctant to sit down and need an emergency appointment at the Doncaster Pet Emergency Clinic.

After thoroughly examining Bobby and discussing his options with Julie, the senior vet at Vets now recommended that surgery would be the best option to remove the skewer.

Then, when Bobby was numb, she opened his stomach and immediately found that the skewer had perforated him – causing his stomach to become severely inflamed.

Fortunately, she was able to carefully pry the skewer out in one piece before it could do any further damage.

Bobby’s line was closed and he was closely monitored for the rest of the night.

The next morning, Bobby was well enough to be taken to Julie’s day vets, where he continued to recover from his ordeal over the next four days.

Fortunately, he’s now back to his normal self: he’s constantly following Julie around the house, curling up in things he shouldn’t be rolling into, and trying to pinch carrots out of the kitchen.

“The skewer was very long and sharp – and only a few millimeters from causing Bobby more serious and possibly more fatal damage,” said District Doctor Jacqui Seymour.

“Fortunately, our veterinarian was able to remove it pretty quickly and treat the inflammation in his abdomen. We are all very happy that he has fully recovered. ”

Dog needs emergency surgery after swallowing 18cm skewer 1

Join our brand new website TeamDogs now.

When you get there make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs your brilliant first job.

When you’ve done that, you may want to leave a referral to help other dog owners in the TeamDogs community.

Julie said, “The Vets Now team saved Bobby’s life – and they looked after me too, which was really nice of them.

“As a pet owner in this situation, you just want to know that your pet is in the safest hands – and it definitely was.

“Bobby is a big part of our life and I’m afraid to wonder what it would have been like if we’d lost him.”

There is always a veterinarian and a veterinary nurse on-site at all of Vets Now’s premises.

It also offers an online video consultation service to make professional veterinary advice more readily available.

.

Leave a Comment