Home World News Driver who lost arm after texting at wheel releases crash footage to...

Driver who lost arm after texting at wheel releases crash footage to warn others

0
13
Driver who lost arm after texting at wheel releases crash footage to warn others

A man who lost his arm in an accident while texting behind the wheel has agreed to allow police to post a video of the crash to deter others.

The shocking 17-second video shows the silver people carrier crashing and overturning, while eagle-eyed drivers avoid the overturning vehicle from the opposite direction.

Sussex Police said the crash occurred on November 15 last year on Brighton’s Roedean Road – a coastal road.

Investigations revealed that the driver had used his phone behind the wheel and his arm had to be amputated.

The video was released with the consent of the driver involved and the owner of the dash cam, neither of whom wishes to be identified.

Officials released the video to highlight the “five deadly” crimes – speeding, drinking alcohol and drugs, using cell phones, not wearing a seat belt, and careless and reckless driving.

Sussex Deputy Police Chief Dave Miller said: “While we don’t want to shock or terrify people with this footage, it is important that road users understand the grave consequences of the ‘five deadly’ crimes.

“By taking personal responsibility and driving safely and sensibly, you can help us reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured in Sussex and Surrey.”

For over a week, for the EDWARD (Everyday Without Traffic Death) project, a Europe-wide campaign, 14 drivers were arrested, 28 summoned, 379 reported for traffic violations and 355 asked to be more careful when driving.

Sussex Deputy Police Chief Dave Miller said: “Throughout the week, our officers offered education and enforcement to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on our streets each year.

“We have also responded to community concerns, identifying excessive noise, tire, licensing, insurance, and anti-social driving and driving in addition to the“ fatal five ”crimes.

“Last year 39 people were killed in collisions in Sussex. That is 39 too many, and families often never recover from the tragic and unexpected loss of a loved one.

“This is also about listening to and responding to community concerns about anti-social driving and horse riding.

“For this reason, we proactively patrol rural areas – as well as main roads – 365 days a year as part of our daily routine police.

“Our priority is to protect everyone on our roads.

“It does this through awareness-raising, which is very well received by the general public, and against those who commit crimes on our streets.”

Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “I appreciate active police and partner operations to combat irresponsible driving on our main roads and country roads.

“I am particularly impressed with the results this week in support of the EDWARD project.

“The video shared by the Sussex police is a shocking portrayal of the consequences of dangerous driving and I am grateful to those who have agreed to share this.

“It really enforces the fact that we must all use the roads and share the responsibility of keeping ourselves and others safe.

“Road safety will continue to be a top priority for the Sussex Police, as it is a concern for local residents. The sobering message of this video is not to drive irresponsibly as the consequences can be dangerous and life changing. “

.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here