January 30, 2021 marks the first anniversary of the earliest known death from Covid-19 in the UK.
Since then, more than 100,000 deaths have been recorded.
Here are some of the key milestones in the death toll.
All figures are based on the most up-to-date statistics for those with Covid-19 noted on their death certificates published by the Office for National Statistics.
– Jan 30, 2020: Earliest known death from Covid-19 in the UK. The victim is 84-year-old Peter Attwood from Chatham, Kent. His death will not be officially confirmed as being involved in Covid-19 until the end of August.
– February 2: The second known death from Covid-19 of a man aged 55 to 59. A third death of a woman between the ages of 30 and 34 followed on February 22nd. Additional deaths occur on March 2nd from March 4th to March 6th, then every day starting March 8th.
– March 12: First death from Covid-19 in Scotland.
– March 15: First death from Covid-19 in Wales. The UK’s cumulative death toll based on mentions of Covid-19 on death certificates is 100.
– March 18: First death from Covid-19 in Northern Ireland.
– March 23: The cumulative death toll is 1,000. Prime Minister Boris Johnson announces a lockdown across the UK.
– April 2nd: first of 23 consecutive days that the UK records more than 1,000 deaths per day.
– April 5: The death toll is 10,000.
– April 8th: The “deadliest” day of the pandemic to date, with 1,457 deaths in the UK.
– April 17: The total death toll is 25,000.
– May 23: The total death toll is 50,000.
– June 18: The daily death toll drops below 100 for the first time since March 19, it returns above 100 on June 24 and 25, then stays below 100 through October.
– August 24: The daily death toll drops briefly in single digits for the first time since March 11 – nine deaths.
– October 7: 108 deaths from Covid-19 – the first time since June 25 that the daily number exceeds 100.
– November 18: 508 deaths from Covid-19 – the first time since May 9 that the daily number exceeds 500.
– November 26: The cumulative death toll is 75,000.
– January 7, 2021: The total death toll is 100,000.
– January 30th: Anniversary of the first known death of Covid-19 in Great Britain.