A 25-year-old woman was hit by the bubonic plague after eating infected meat from a rodent.
The Mongolian woman is being kept in isolation along with 19 other people she is known to have come into contact with.
It is the second possible case of the plague known as the Black Death in Mongolia as another unrelated case is under investigation.
And in neighboring China there are fears that a three-year-old boy will also suffer from the bubonic plague, reports the daily star.
Three dead rats believed to have been killed by the disease were found in a village in Menghai County, southwest Yunnan Province.
Menghai has initiated a level four emergency response to stop the plague from spreading.
Earlier this year, a 15-year-old boy was reportedly killed by the bubonic plague in Mongolia.
The teenager allegedly ate infected marmot meat that was chased by a dog.
He was hospitalized while dozens of other people were quarantined after cases of the fatal infection were confirmed in China.
D Narangeral, head of the Ministry of Health in Mongolia, said: “This is the second plague in our country. Cases of marmot plague have also been reported in Inner Mongolia, China. In this regard, Russia has started to take measures to ban marmot hunting .
“While our neighbors are watching closely, our citizens are being warned not to hunt and eat marmots illegally and to follow their advice.”
Two people died of the plague in the Bayannur Autonomous Region of Inner Mongolia last year after contracting the disease after eating the raw meat of a groundhog, a type of rodent.
Marmots are a known carrier of the plague bacteria, but an official for the World Health Organization in Ulaanbaatar, capital of Mongolia, said eating raw marmot meat and kidneys is a folk remedy for good health.
According to the WHO, if left untreated, bubonic plague can kill an adult in 24 hours.
It is a bacterial disease transmitted by fleas that live on wild rodents such as marmots.
Bayannur, Mongolia is now on alert level three over bubonic plague cases, a warning that will remain in place until the end of the year.
Two people died of the plague in the area last year after contracting the disease after eating the raw meat of a groundhog, a type of rodent.
This means that people must take extra precautions to stop the transmission of the infection from person to person.
You should also avoid hunting, skinning, or eating animals that could be potential carriers.
The bubonic plague was responsible for the worst pandemic humanity has ever seen when it killed an estimated 50 million people in Europe during the Middle Ages.
The bubonic plague is one of three plagues caused by the same bacteria.
It causes excruciating swollen lymph nodes, makes those infected cough, and suffers from both fever and chills.
Known as the Black Death in the Middle Ages, the bubonic plague spread through Europe, killing tens of millions of people – more than half of the continent’s entire population.
It is an infection of the lymphatic system and can also lead to seizures, muscle spasms, and gangrene of the toes, fingertips, tips of the nose, and lips.
The same fleas that infect humans with bubonic plague are also responsible for septicemic plague and pnemonic plague.
Anyone infected with the bubonic plague must have been bitten by a flea that contains the deadly bacteria or by an animal infected with the plague, such as the marmots in Mongolia.
Antibiotics had helped contain the bubonic plague – but never eradicated – and they are only effective if given quickly.
Those treated in a timely manner often make a full recovery.
The WHO has now classified the bubonic plague as a recurring disease, despite stressing that it would not be as severe as the Covid-19 pandemic.
Every year up to 2,000 people become infected with bubonic plague on the other side of the glove, many of whom survive.
Dr. Shanti Kappagoda, an infectious disease doctor at Stanford Health Care, told the Heathline news site, “Unlike the 14th century, we now have an understanding of how this disease is transmitted.
“We know how to prevent this. We can also treat patients who are infected with effective antibiotics.”