Harry and Meghan didn't have secret 'backyard' wedding, archbishop who married them says

LONDON – Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey grabbed millions of viewers and left the royal family to face allegations of racism as the world pondered each explosive claim.

But Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, also raised her eyebrows with the suggestion that the couple had been secretly married three days earlier the ceremonial extravaganza Broadcasting around the world.

On Tuesday, the man who married her raised the issue publicly for the first time, saying it was not and the grand royal event on May 19, 2018 was actually the real thing.

“The legal wedding was on Saturday,” said Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, who is the head of the Church of England. said the Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

“I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious crime if I had signed it because I knew it was wrong.”

Download the NBC News app for the latest news about the coronavirus

In the bomb-laden interview that aired on CBS earlier this month, Meghan told Oprah, “We got married three days before our wedding – nobody knows.”

“We called the archbishop and just said, look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world, but we want our union between us,” she said.

She said it was “just the two of us in our back yard with the Archbishop of Canterbury”. Harry added it was “just the three of us”.

This resulted in commentators asking if such a ceremony would have been legal, since under English law it would have to have witnesses and take place in a registered location.

Following Welby’s comments, NBC News contacted Harry and Meghan’s representatives via email but declined to comment on the taping immediately.

The wedding detail was just a moment in a lengthy interview that led to weeks of accusations. Meghan painted the palace as deeply touchless, with no regard for mental health and unsympathetic to the racism they say drove them out of the country

Buckingham Palace released a response on behalf of Queen Elizabeth II expressing concern and sadness over Harry and Meghan’s account of their experience. The statement said that “some memories may vary” but that these issues are treated privately by the family.

Harry’s brother, Prince William, beat back the racial allegations, telling reporters in London earlier this month: “We are next to no racist family.”

The Sussexes completed their separation from the royal family last month a year after “stepping down” from their public duties and moving to America when the fairytale wedding turned into a nightmare.

The couple announced on Valentine’s Day that they were expecting their second child months after Meghan announced she had it suffered a miscarriage.

36-year-old Harry is set to become Chief Impact Officer at the Silicon Valley startup BetterUp Inc., a San Francisco-based health technology company that provides professional and mental health coaching,

Leave a Comment