A devastated woman wants to make people aware of the dangers of having her beloved animal die, of feeding horses that they do not own.
Debbie Frost called the vet after discovering that her beloved horse, Mac, was writhing and sweating in pain.
She immediately called the vet who diagnosed him with colic, which resulted in a twisted bowel and her horse had to be catastrophically euthanized.
The cause of his unnecessary death was that the public fed too many apples in his field in Melton, near Woodbridge, which, despite the numerous warnings to the people, caused the colic. Suffolk Live Reports.
“He was a perfectly healthy, well-loved horse, he was my life, that shouldn’t have happened,” said Debbie with tears.
“I’m totally heartbroken. There is no public right of way through my fields, but people ignore the private signs and go through anyway.
“They bring sacks of apples and food to feed the animals, even bring their children there, and when I stop them to ask them what they are doing, they berate me and tell me it is their right, mine Feed animals.
“I try to tell them but they ignore me, what else can I do. You shouldn’t feed other people’s horses, you would never do it to a dog, so why any other pet.”
A retired racehorse, Mac was a beautiful bay thoroughbred gelding who reached a height of 16.2 hours and enjoyed a slower life in Melton.
Debbie said that she would get compliments for him many times while hacking and now when she sees the same people asking her about him, which leads to more tears as she tries to explain what happened.
She is deeply upset that his death was preventable and wants people who feed horses against their owners’ wishes to know that their actions will have consequences.
While an apple would have been fine, the number Mac fed that day was fatal and passers-by never know how many horses have already been fed.
The coronavirus lockdown has exacerbated the problem as more people have started walking during restrictions in the countryside.
Debbie said people pretended not to know they were on private land or came up with an excuse and even confronted her with anger when she was wrong.
She had previously kept alpacas, but they died after choking on bread given them by the public.
“I don’t know what else to do,” she added. “I looked after Mac for three years, saw him every day before and after work, and now he’s gone.
“I want to be up there around the clock now, so my other animals can keep an eye on them because I’m scared of what will happen next.
“What makes it worse is that Foxburrow Farm Suffolk Wildlife Trust is just up the road where people are sure to see animals, but they come to me instead.”
Her final message is an appeal to people not to feed horses they do not own, even if they think they are good for them.
You can find more stories from where you live at Near you.