How do I get my Christmas bonus from the Government if I'm on benefits?

The government wants to spread the Christmas spirit during this festive time with its annual one-off payment to the beneficiaries.

You will get £ 10 in your bank account if you are eligible, which will normally appear as “DWP XB” on your bank statement and which is automatically given by the Department of Labor and Pensions.

Whether or not you get the money depends on what benefit you get. If you have received any of the following payments and were resident in the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Gibraltar during the “Qualifying Week” – usually the first full week of December – you should be eligible:

Read more: All the financial support you can get from the government this winter

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Care allowance

  • Dependency

  • Child benefit in the event of disability

  • Long-term care allowance (paid out as part of industrial accident or war pension systems)

  • Contribution-based employment and support allowance (when entering the main phase of benefits after the first 13 weeks of entitlement)

  • Disabled Life Support

  • Long-term disability pension

  • Unemployment benefit (for widows or widowers)

  • Mobility allowance

  • Annuity loan – the element of guarantee

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • State pension (including tiered old-age pension)

  • Severely handicapped allowance (temporarily protected)

  • Unemployment allowance or allowance (paid out under industrial accident or war pension schemes)

  • War disability pension at state retirement age

  • War widow’s pension

  • Widowed mother’s allowance

  • Parental allowance for widowed parents

  • Widow’s pension

Those who live in a couple, whether simply living together, married, or in a civil partnership, will receive the money as part of the Christmas bonus.

If they are not receiving any of the above, your partner may still receive payment if you and your partner have passed state retirement age at the end of the qualifying week and your partner lived in the United Kingdom, Gibraltar, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, the European Economic Area or Switzerland. In addition, they must be entitled to an increase in the eligible benefit or only receive a pension credit.

Payment should be in your bank account in time for Christmas Day. However, if you think that you are entitled to the money but have not received it, contact the Jobcenter Plus or the pension service.

If you’re not eligible for the government Christmas bonus but need help during the holidays, check out some other benefit options. This includes help from the household support fund, the warm home discount or the winter fuel allowance. Some are automatically awarded, but you may have missed a payment so double check.


Leave a Comment