How much can I get from the Government to help with my rent this winter? The schemes to help those falling behind

If you are falling behind on your rent or planning to move and need financial help, don’t panic as there are government programs to help you.

One such idea is the Homeless Prevention Scholarship. While another is what is called a discretionary home payment. If you are receiving certain benefits, there are loans and other types of schemes that may also be helpful.

Read more: All the financial support you can get from the government this winter

The money is intended to help with arrears of rent, rent deposits or the prepayment of the rent if you are about to move.

But you may be wondering – how much can I get? Here’s what we know about government help.

How much can I get from the government to help me with my rent this winter?

In addition to applying for housing benefit if you are eligible, the government has other programs in place to help with rental costs.

The main one is the Homeless Prevention Grant, a £ 375 million cash pot – recently topped up by the Treasury Department – to help people who are evicted or unable to pay their rent.

Those who get it are unlikely to see the money for themselves as it is most likely paid direct to a landlord or housing association.

The exact amount you can claim will depend on the reasons for your cash needs and your circumstances.

If you claim the housing element of the universal loan or the housing benefit, you may be entitled to a different pot of money, the so-called discretionary housing benefit payments.

These can help if you can’t pay your rent in full in a month, you don’t have the money for a rental deposit, or you need an advance payment because you are moving.

To get some cash you need to apply to your local council about what you can do the government website .

Your agency can ask why you need the money and what your circumstances are before deciding how much to award and when the money will be given to you.

There are other measures to help people who are already using certain services, such as the universal loan.

If you have Universal Credit, you can apply for a hardship payment if your money was recently suspended, an Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA), or a budget prepayment, but this must be paid back.

Check out our last article and check out everything state financial aid to individuals and households this winter For more information.


Leave a Comment