How much Christmas bonus will I get from the Government if I claim benefits?

Do you need to do some Christmas shopping or stock up on groceries for the big day? You will be pleased to know that you may get a little government help for doing certain benefits.

Yes that’s right. Extra money for Christmas. What do you dislike? The amount you get is on the small side, but every little bit adds to the cost.

Read more: All the financial support you can get from the government this winter

So you probably want to know how much money you are getting from the government and what benefits you qualify for the winter supplement. Well, we tell you how much you should get and what benefits you can get. Here’s what we know

How much Christmas bonus do I get from the state if I apply for benefits?

The tax-free amount you get from the government is £ 10. It should be in your bank account under the statement ‘DWP XB’ by Christmas Day and it should be given to you automatically. If this is not the case, you must contact the Jobcenter Plus or the pension service.

Note, however, that you are required to receive a specific benefit and have lived in the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Gibraltar during the “Qualifying Week” – usually the first full week of December.

The benefits that qualify you to receive the additional payment are:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Care allowance

  • Dependency

  • Child benefit in the event of disability

  • Long-term care allowance (paid out as part of industrial accident or war pension systems)

  • Contribution-based employment and support allowance (when entering the main phase of benefits after the first 13 weeks of entitlement)

  • Disabled Life Support

  • Long-term disability pension

  • Unemployment benefit (for widows or widowers)

  • Mobility allowance

  • Annuity loan – the element of guarantee

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • State pension (including tiered old-age pension)

  • Severely handicapped allowance (temporarily protected)

  • Unemployment allowance or allowance (paid out under industrial accident or war pension schemes)

  • War disability pension at state retirement age

  • War widow’s pension

  • Widowed mother’s allowance

  • Parental allowance for widowed parents

  • Widow’s pension

If you live with someone and your partner is in receipt of any of the above eligible benefits, both of you will receive the Christmas bonus.

But what if you aren’t eligible for the festive bonus. Can you get anything else? During the winter period there are other support measures, including the household support fund.

This particular pot of cash is designed to help people with their daily necessities such as paying for food and heating.

The government has allocated a total of £ 500 million to the English councils and decentralized administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

But it is meant to be spent on the families in need, with at least 50 percent of the funds going to people with children. If that is you, then you can apply.

If you need emergency funding for Christmas and you have universal credit, you can get a budget advance. You need a good reason and meet the other eligibility criteria, but it’s worth trying if you need to and think it will give you the benefit. Note, however, that the money has to be paid back, so technically no extra cash.


Leave a Comment