Hundreds more make dangerous Channel crossing to UK

Hundreds more people, including very young children, have made the dangerous canal crossing into the UK.

Adults carrying teenagers and others wrapped in blankets arrived on the south-east coast of England on Saturday with the help of lifeboat crews.

Official figures have not been confirmed, but hundreds of people are believed to have made the trip.

Meanwhile, French officials said that in the ports of Boulogne-sur-Mer, Dunkirk and Calais, 243 people in trouble were recovered and brought to safety.

More than 24,700 people have landed in the UK so far this year after crossing the Canal in small boats – almost three times as many as in 2020.

According to the PA news agency, this includes at least 1,247 who have arrived since Monday. That number is expected to rise as the exact number is yet to be set by the Home Office for Tuesday.

It is believed that at least 10 migrants have died trying to negotiate the dangerous crossing in the past few weeks.

The arrivals came amid reports that asylum seekers in new centers are being forced to follow strict rules or that their applications will be denied according to plans advocated by Interior Minister Priti Patel.

Kevin Saunders, former Chief Immigration Officer of the UK Border Force, argued that people entering the UK via the Channel must be cleared off the coast.

He told Times Radio: “The most effective way would be to get all the people who have arrived in the UK to an offshore processing center and take care of it offshore.

“This is the only way to prevent people from coming to the UK. We saw how we tried to do it with the French on land, on the canal, nothing worked. “

When asked why it had to be offshore, he said: “People will still come to the UK because they know that if their asylum application fails, we cannot deport them from the UK.”

He said that only a small number of people had been removed this year, describing the UK as “just too attractive” to people, adding, “They know that once they get to the UK they win the jackpot. “

The Interior Minister was impressed with the construction of centers in Greece where migrants would receive strict curfews and routine checks on their movements, the Daily Telegraph reported.

A UK government source was quoted by the Telegraph as saying that if migrants break new rules, their asylum claims could be affected.

Meanwhile, the Times reported that Boris Johnson had called in Duchy of Lancaster Chancellor Steve Barclay to oversee the problem of the increasing numbers of migrants arriving on Britain’s shores.

The newspaper said the prime minister was “upset” with the situation and had pursued a number of strategies to contain the flow.

The move to involve Mr Barclay could be seen as an admission that Mrs Patel has failed to address the problem.

It comes after Sir Keir Starmer accused her of failing to keep promises to curb the flow of illegal migrants across the English Channel.

The Labor leader said she had not made strong enough agreements with the French government to discourage migrants from making the dangerous sea voyage.

He said the Home Secretary repeatedly used “strong language” to say how she would approach the problem, but provided “absolutely nothing”.

More stories from where you live can be found at Near you.

.

Leave a Comment