Up to 80 Hamas fighters were killed and buried in the terror tunnels of the Gaza Strip after Israel deceived them that a ground invasion was ongoing last week.
Search teams are still digging the fighters of our destroyed underground system known as the “Gaza Metro”, which has been hit by hundreds of air strikes.
The Hamas leadership was tricked into sending a large force underground when Israel’s defense force tweeted about an air and ground operation.
The heavily armed fighters believed they were being attacked by Israeli ground forces and flooded the tunnels to attack the invading force.
What’s your point of view? Share your thoughts in the comment section
But as soon as they got into the underground system, Israel launched huge air strikes and smashed the tunnels with bunker bombs and other explosions.
Moments after the Israeli tweet was sent, it was removed in a massive deception mission that gathered Hamas fighters in large numbers to be attacked.
Yesterday (Monday) in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian search teams were still trying to reach the remains of the fighters deep underground as locals were counting the cost of the 11-day missile exchange.
Like news? Get the bYou can get the latest updates of the day by subscribing to the Spiegel’s email newsletter
In Israel, a source told the Daily Mirror: “It is now believed that there are around 80
were killed, many of whom are still buried deep underground.
“At the time, it was believed that the deception operation targeted up to 200, but it appears that 80 is the latest count obtained from information about Gaza.”
A truce took place on Monday on the fourth day between the Hamas militant in Gaza and Israel, who came under Israeli warnings that they would retaliate by force if the group opened fire.
According to the Ministry of Health, at least 248 people were killed in Gaza, including more than 100 women and children.
Israel has said it killed at least 225 militants during the fighting.
Hamas has not reported casualty figures for fighters, but it is also believed that up to 12 senior Hamas commanders were killed in the air strikes.
Hussan Abu Harbeed, a veteran Islamic Jihad commander, was also killed in the strikes.
12 people were killed in Israel, including two children.
The cleanup in Gaza is believed to cost hundreds of millions of pounds, much of which will come from Egypt and other donations.
Egypt is said to have already pledged at least £ 350 million to clean up the Gaza Strip.
US President Joe Biden has insisted that the only way to a longer peace between Israel and Palestinians is a “two-state solution”.
Much of the Palestinian Strip was destroyed in the strikes.