John Lewis bosses are considering closing the doors of eight more stores from the remaining branches, it has been alleged.
There are eight more closures that were announced in July 2020.
This time around, older John Lewis stores are believed to be in danger of permanent closure.
The retail giant, which also owns the Waitrose supermarket, is currently cutting another 1,500 jobs at its headquarters. The mirror reports.
According to the Sunday Times, the final number of closings has not yet been determined and is pending negotiations with landlords.
In some cases, John Lewis could open a smaller branch nearby.
John Lewis currently has 42 stores.
That came after the company announced a loss of £ 635 million in 2020, with the pandemic devastating sales.
The 156-year-old department store announced 1,500 layoffs last year – all employees should leave the company by April.
The bosses said the move was part of a five-year transformation plan to “return to sustainable profits by 2025”.
The downsizing will have an impact on roles at headquarters, according to a spokesman, as the workforce will be cut or hired.
“Wherever possible, we will try to find new roles in the partnership for partners whose roles become redundant,” added a statement.
Sharon White, Chair of the John Lewis Partnership, said, “Our partnership plan sets the stage for a thriving and sustainable business for the future. To achieve this, we need to be agile and adapt quickly to our customers’ changing needs can.
“Losing partners is incredibly difficult as an employee-owned company. We will seek new roles in the partnership wherever possible and we will provide the best support and retraining opportunities to partners who leave us.”