Man chopped up his landlord and fed him to badgers

A man was imprisoned for life after killing and hacking his 71-year-old landlord before bringing his body parts out to be eaten by badgers.

Daniel Walsh was imprisoned for life for killing “proud and courageous” retiree Graham Snell DerbyTelegraph reports.

The 30-year-old took taxis to nearby hardware stores, where he bought the equipment he needed to dismember and bury Mr. Snell.

Walsh, who turns 31 this week, refused to appear in person for his hearing or via a video link from HMP Nottingham. He always refused to reveal how he killed the man.

Judge Nirmal Shant QC told Walsh in his absence that it would be 27 years before he was even eligible for parole: “Graham Snell was a quiet, humble man who was popular with his neighbors, a private individual who had an order led life.

“His cause of death remains unclear, and that’s because only you (Walsh) know how you killed him.

“Only you know what you did to Mr. Snell, but after you killed him you systematically tried for the next few days to get away with the murder of Mr. Snell.

“You cruelly cut him into pieces and took a taxi to a rooftop settlement where you dug a series of holes and buried his body parts, no doubt in the hope that badgers would eat him.”

After nearly three weeks of trial in the Derby Crown Court in November and December, it took a jury just an hour to find Walsh guilty of the murder.

The trial was told how he admitted to dismembering the pensioner but denied being the man who killed him at their Chesterfield home in June 2019.

Then he buried the body parts, some of which went undetected for months, in a badger that had settled in a wooded area in the city.

Walsh was due to be sentenced on December 14, but sensationally dismissed his legal team that morning and the hearing has been adjourned until today.

At that December hearing, District Attorney Peter Joyce QC read a victim impact statement from Mr. Snell’s family.

In it, one of his nieces said, “The fact that he was so dismembered is absolutely disgusting.

“Graham had cruelly cut his life and even now, before I go to sleep, I worry about what he suffered and what he went through.

“Graham was a lovely, proud, and brave man who kept himself to himself, and I’ve never heard him say a bad word about anyone.”

Walsh’s original trial in March this year had to be canceled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

But Mr Joyce, who opened the retrial in November, said of the hearing: “The cause of death is unknown because there were so many body parts, but we know what he did.

“He killed it, he hacked it up and fed the badger.

“What you will hear is absolutely horrific and what he did was murder.

“Getting my hands on this man’s money was murder.”

Mr Joyce said on June 19, 2019 that Mr Snell, who was single and retired, went to the Chesterfield Police Station.

He said he complained that Walsh stole his bank account and asked for a police officer.

Mr. Joyce said an officer went to the Marsden Street address where both men lived the next morning, but there was no answer and calls to Mr. Snell’s cell phone went straight to the answering machine.

Mr. Joyce said, “At 9:30 am on June 20th, Graham Snell was dead and it is the prosecution case that he was killed by the Mr. Walsh on whom he filed the complaint.”

He said a little over an hour later, Walsh, who had not opened the door to the officer despite his stay, left the house and went to a Wickes hardware store where he bought 10 rubbish bags and two saws which he returned to the address.

Mr. Joyce said, “What did he want the saws and sacks for?

“He wanted the saws to cut through the bones of Graham Snell’s corpse and put the sacks in parts of his body to carry them away.”

Mr Joyce said two days later that Walsh had taken a train to Birmingham where he had tried and had not been given an emergency pass.

He said by June 24th the disposal of Mr. Snell’s body had started.

Mr Joyce said, “Many parts of Graham Snell’s body were either buried or pushed into different parts of a badger settlement.

“Later the police and the Royal Engineers were to spend almost a month investigating the rooftop estate.

“The head and arms were buried a little way away in parts of a forest.

“On July 2nd, the remainder of Mr. Snell’s three-part torso was retrieved in three black sacks from the main rubbish bins that serve apartments in Oakamoor Close.”

Mr Joyce said in the days that followed that Walsh made trips to casinos in Sheffield and gambling halls in Matlock Bath, where he “spent a considerable amount of money received from Graham Snell’s accounts after his death”.

Mr Joyce told the jury how Walsh was jailed for six months in 2009 for stealing £ 5,000 from Mr Snell, and in 2014 he was convicted of attacking the same victim by hitting him on the head twice.


Leave a Comment