Man dies after eating bag-and-a-half of liquorice every day

Man dies after eating bag-and-a-half of liquorice every day

According to doctors, a 54-year-old man died after eating a bag and a half of liquorice every day.

The construction worker, who had shown no symptoms, suddenly had a heart attack while eating in a fast food restaurant, according to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Doctors say glycyrrhizic acid in licorice caused the extreme reaction.

Dr. Elazer R Edelman said studies showed that glycyrrhizic acid – found in licorice – could “cause high blood pressure, hypokalemia, metabolic alkalosis, fatal arrhythmias and kidney failure”.

The symptoms were all later found in the patient, including hypokalemia – where blood potassium levels become dangerously low.

Weeks before his death, the man had switched from red liquorice to black.

Dr. Andrew L Lundquist agreed with the report that the liquorice was responsible for the man’s death.

He wrote, “Further investigation indicated that a licorice-containing candy was recently changed as the likely cause of his hypokalemia.”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here