Mass grave of women and children unearthed at ex-Nazi concentration camp

A cruel mass grave of murdered women and children was excavated in a former Nazi concentration camp in Russia.

The remains of around 500 victims were found, many of whom showed gunshot wounds and evidence of torture.

Other inmates are believed to have died of malnutrition and illness.

Around 64 state investigators and volunteers are currently working at the macabre and long-suspected location that is part of a sinister hell camp system called Dulag-191 in the Voronezh region.

Shocking video footage shows excavators digging up skulls and body parts in an area occupied by Hitler’s armed forces during World War II.

“The estimated death toll is around 500 people,” said Mikhail Segodin, leader of the Don Search volunteer team, referring to this particular mass burial.

Mass grave of women and children unearthed at ex-Nazi concentration camp 1

Der Spiegel’s newsletter gives you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sports updates and important political information.

The newsletter is sent out first thing by email every morning at 12 noon and every evening.

Don’t miss a moment by signing up for our newsletter here.

“The main contingent of the camp consisted of women and children”

According to archives, a total of around 8,500 people were killed in Dulag-191, he said.

The current search for human remains is focused on 15 pits – mass graves, each containing 30-100 remains, near the village of Lushnikovo in the Ostrogozhsky district.

“Judging from the remains unearthed so far, we are seeing gunshot wounds, blunt trauma, in other words, broken bones,” Segodin said.

“The site is complicated because it was a camp for women and children.”

The human remains are in poor condition, he said.

Volunteers found bones in 15 pits on site

According to archives, 8,500 people died in Dulag-191

Mr. Segodin added, “Most of the time tubular bones survived, but often only teeth remain from the skull.

“The only thing that can be said for sure is that almost all of the people who died here were young.

“We didn’t find anything of value, except maybe a pack of cigarettes that was damaged by gunfire.”

In a Soviet intelligence report from the Office of the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs of the Voronezh Region of September 2, 1942, it says: “A concentration camp for women and children is in a brick factory in the suburb of Lushnikovka.”

The camp was described as “out in the open, fenced with four rows of barbed wire” and “guarded by Magyars”. [Hungarians].

Most of the remains came from young people, according to the volunteers

The report says: “Prisoners are not fed, but children are allowed to collect alms, and parcels are also allowed.

“There are a lot of sick people there, no medical help is given.

“There is a high mortality rate.”

Intelligence documents also pointed to the murder of children and the cruelty against prisoners of war.

Local historian Viktor Strelkin spoke to eyewitnesses and surviving prisoners.

“I was told that in those pits, right under the feet of people who were still alive, were the dead.

The inmates of Dulag-191 had to build a railway for the Nazis

“Sometimes they were open or covered with four or six inches of earth, but it sagged and the bodies were visible again.”

Segodin said: “The search and identification work will continue together with specialists from the (Russian) committee of inquiry.”

The Dulag-191 concentration camp system was created in the Voronezh region in 1942.

Inmates from Dulag-191 had to build a railroad for the Nazis, known as the Berlinka Line, to supply the German forces trying to take Stalingrad.

The funeral was found thanks to unclassified intelligence documents and aerial photographs taken by a German pilot in 1942.

This determined the exact location of the women’s and children’s camp

.

Leave a Comment