LOS ANGELES – Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, has lost the final round of her ongoing legal battle with Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) of the UK, publisher of the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday.
Markle sued the group for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement after the Mail on Sunday released excerpts from a 2018 letter from Markle to her father, Thomas Markle Sr. ANL, in which she denied their claims.
Last week, ANL asked the court to change its defense to use the recently published book Finding Freedom by US-based journalists Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, which alleged that Markle disclosed information to the authors.
Markle’s attorney Justin Rushbrooke argued, “The applicant and her husband did not collaborate with the authors on the book, nor were they interviewed for it, nor did they provide photographs for the book to the authors,” and suggested that the book record Material published by ANL and other public domain sources.
On Tuesday, Judge Francesca Kaye allowed the ANL Defense to use the book and denied Markle permission to appeal the verdict. Markle’s attorneys have an opportunity to bring Kaye’s decision to the appeals court. Kaye said Scobie issued a statement to the court denying that Markle collaborated on the book.
“It could be that what it doesn’t say, and not what it says, could prove meaningful in the process,” Kaye said, referring to Scobie’s statement. “If, as suggested, everything is a house of cards, it will quickly fall down in the process.”
The case is set to go to court in January 2021.
Markle and her husband, Prince Harry, continue to be on the news. On Monday, the couple’s spokesman denied a report in the British tabloid The Sun suggesting participating in a reality show “Fly-on-the-Wall”.