A coronavirus memorial fundraiser has been launched in honor of those who died of Covid-19.
The campaign aims to raise £ 2.3million for the construction of a memorial in London as part of the Remember Me online memorial project, in partnership with the Daily Mail.
If the donation goal is reached, the memorial will be erected in St. Paul’s Cathedral.
Remember Me, led by St. Paul’s Cathedral and backed by the Prince of Wales, has more than 7,300 names of people who have died from the aftermath of the pandemic since it started last May.
Hopefully the campaign will encourage others to add the names of their loved ones.
The Dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral, Dr. David Ison, said, “The physical memorial in St. Paul’s will anchor the online book in a place where significant events and people have been remembered for many centuries.
“Along with the online memorial, members of the public can call a person’s photo and brief epitaph, written by their family or friends, into a reflective space to encourage reflection, prayers, or light a candle.”
The Portikus Memorial was designed by Oliver Caroe, the cathedral’s surveyor who lost his mother to Covid-19 on April 5 last year at the age of 81.
Geordie Greig, editor of the Daily Mail, said: “Thousands of people in the UK have lost a loved one as a result of the Covid pandemic and it is right that we remember this tragic death toll.
“A memorial in St. Paul’s Cathedral is an appropriate way to remember those who have died.”
The first 5,000 people who donate more than £ 25 to the Fund will receive a commemorative candle, and those who donate more than £ 50 will receive an annual Friends of St. Paul’s membership.
Donate, Visit the crowdfunder page here.