Missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai claims she is ‘safe and well’ in video call

Missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai had a 30-minute video call with the President of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach, to confirm she was okay.

Peng Shuai meets with the International Olympic Committee (

Image: OIS / IOC / AFP via Getty Images)

Missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai told the International Olympic Committee she was “safe and well” during a video call.

The 35-year-old former world number two player has not been seen in public since his allegation of sexual assault against the former Chinese Communist Party deputy prime minister on November 2nd.

Since then, there has been growing concern around the world, with stars like Andy Murray, Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams showing their support.

But in a statement, the IOC said Peng spoke to President Thomas Bach for 30 minutes and said, “She is safe and sound, lives in her home in Beijing, but wants her privacy to be respected.”

Missing star Peng Shuai
(

Image:

Getty Images)

Get all the breaking news in your inbox. Sign up for the free Mirror newsletter

Athletes Commission Chair Emma Terho and IOC member Li Lingwei, a former vice president of the Chinese Tennis Association, also joined the call, which is believed to be Peng’s first contact with sports officials outside of China since her disappearance.

The IOC has been criticized for failing to take a stronger stance on the issue ahead of the Beijing Winter Games in February.

Peng “gladly accepted” an invitation from Bach to dinner in the Chinese capital in January.

Missing star Peng Shuai is seen eating with her team and friends

Terho said, “I was relieved to see that Peng Shuai was okay, which was our main concern.

“She seemed relaxed. I offered her our support and at any time to stay in contact, which she obviously appreciated. “

Peng hasn’t been seen since she posted a long post on Chinese social media site Weibo claiming that Zhang Gaoli, 75, forced her to have sex after he invited her with him three years ago and his wife playing tennis.

The Post also claimed that the couple were having a friendly affair prior to the incident, but Zhang cut communications when he rose to join the CCP.

It was deleted after half an hour and removed any mention of the US Open semi-finalist from Chinese websites, with some reports claiming even the word tennis was censored.

She has not been seen since the post, but an email she signed claimed she was safe and the allegations had been exposed.

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai signs large-format tennis balls at the opening ceremony of the Fila Kids Junior Tennis Challenger Final in Beijing on November 21, 2021
(

Image:

about REUTERS)

Then, on Friday, state media released three images wishing the fans a happy weekend, while video clips from her performance at tennis tournaments and in a restaurant did little to allay concerns.

The United Nations, US, UK and France have all called for “verifiable evidence” of their whereabouts, while the Women’s Tennis Association has threatened to cancel all tournaments.

The CCP has a history of brutally suppressing all dissenting voices.

Continue reading
Continue reading

.

Leave a Comment