Mum endures ‘every parent’s worst nightmare’ thinking son is dead

One mother revealed how she faced a parent’s worst nightmare when she was woken by her desperate fiancee who shouted, “Our son is dead” – before a “miracle” saw his father bring him back to life awaken.

Samantha Howarth and Jonny Sands gave their 10-year-old son Josh Sands some calpol and let him sleep with his dad downstairs when he was not feeling well earlier this month.

The partially deaf mother of two, however, did not hear her partner’s cries for help when he woke up around 6:30 am and found that her son was not breathing and had turned “blue”.

Jonny, 38, paused emergency CPR to sprint upstairs and alert Samantha, who was in such a state of panic and shock that she fell down the stairs and even forgot the 999 emergency number.

In what the duo refer to as a “miracle,” they believe Jonny woke up in time after Josh stopped breathing and the father’s rescue efforts resuscitated the little boy and kept him alive until paramedics arrived.

(Image: Kennedy News and Media)

Astounded doctors threw him into a coma while the shocked Samantha, 35, held a night watch for days – before he was brought back to consciousness two days later with no sign of injury or illness.

The couple say they “never found a definitive answer,” which caused Josh to stop breathing. However, the little boy has recovered remarkably and returned to school last week, less than two weeks after the incident.

Jonny’s Facebook post about her horrific experience has since gone viral and he’s hoping to raise funds to train more adults in CPR so they can save lives like he did.

Samantha from Bolton, Greater Manchester said, “I usually have two hearing aids, so I didn’t wake up until Jonny was standing at the end of the bed yelling ‘Josh is dead’.

“I jumped up and it was all a blur. I ran down the stairs, but it was like my body was still in bed. I fell from the top and thought I had slipped my thumb.

“I could hardly stand in shock. I went into the living room and saw Josh lying on the floor with his eyes open and looking at the roof. There was no sign of life at all and he was just blue.

38-year-old Jonny used social media to tell his shocking story

(Image: Kennedy News and Media)

“Jonny couldn’t call the ambulance and do CPR at the same time, so he asked me to. My head was completely gone. I even asked him who to call and what number.

“When I got through, I tried to get some air in [Josh] but he was having a fit and his mouth was tightly closed. Luckily Jonny had managed to bring color back into him.

“The paramedics were there in six minutes, but I barely saw Josh react. When we got to the hospital, he was still having a seizure.

“I stood [in the hospital] I just stared at him numbly for about an hour and a half, and then stayed two days with little sleep.

“His breathing wasn’t right and the doctors didn’t know what was wrong with him. They had to put him on top of anything with the strongest dose they could to fight it all.

“When we took him around, he actually looked around and asked ‘Why are we in a hotel?’ Because he didn’t know what happened.

“It’s really weird to see him like that [in the hospital] and now we see him at school again. I’m just so grateful that he’s here. It’s like waking up from a nightmare. “

Samantha and Jonny run a children's activity company, Kickstarterz Sports, and the father of two is trained in basic first aid - including CPR

(Image: Kennedy News and Media)

The father of two has no idea why he woke up to check on his son, but he believes that if he hadn’t slept near him and known CPR, he would not be alive.

After his heroism, he had to wait anxiously from home for test results as he had to care for the couple’s six-year-old son, Jacob Sands, at home while Samantha was in the hospital.

Jonny said, “I just saw it [Josh] half on the floor and half on the sofa and couldn’t really figure out what was going on. I saw that his lips were blue and his eyes were completely wide.

“I was dragging him to the living room floor and was starting CPR when I noticed he wasn’t breathing. I yelled upstairs at Samantha, but I didn’t really panic. I was scared but just focused on it to save his life.

“I must have woken up within minutes of he stopped breathing and I acted pretty quickly. I went back to CPR and noticed his color came back and that was when he started having seizures.

“The paramedics took over, but I was reluctant to let them in. I just slumped outside waiting for the worst news. It’s a parent’s worst nightmare. I was so relieved when the CT scans came back all right.

Josh was miraculously brought to consciousness two days later with no sign of injury or illness

(Image: Kennedy News and Media)

“It’s like a miracle when you look back. He was in the hospital for six days and now he can go on with his life as if nothing had ever happened. It was amazing.”

Samantha and Jonny run a children’s activity company, Kickstarterz Sports, and the father of two is trained in basic first aid, including CPR, if needed.

After saving the life of his own son, he is now offering free first aid training, paid for by a GoFundMe page he set up – and which has already raised over £ 1,000.

Samantha says she will take one of the courses, and more of the funds raised will also be used to purchase a defibrillator for her local community in Westhoughton, Bolton.

Jonny added, “Everything that happened proves why it is so important that I know CPR and why people should take the classes because see what you make of it.

“We as a family want to raise awareness that these things happen, even though they are very rare, and we need to let people know that first aid training is vital.”

Jonny is now offering free first aid training paid for by a GoFundMe site - that's already raised over £ 1,000

(Image: Kennedy News and Media)

Jonny’s Facebook post explaining his son’s “miracle” has been replied to more than 14,000 times and has more than 3,600 comments.

In Jonny’s post it says: “The last 12 days have been an unforgettable and traumatic experience for us as a family.

“We found that our healthy 10 year old boy was unresponsive and not breathing. His recovery at that time was nothing short of remarkable. They never found a definitive answer to the cause.

“As a family we are now trying to raise awareness of the importance of a first aid course.

“Josh would like to see good wishes from people in this wonderful group and would go a long way in helping him recover and raise that awareness. Thank you.”

You can donate on Jonny’s page Here

.

Leave a Comment