The mother of a teenager who died after taking ecstasy has urged young people to think about the deadly effects of drugs.
Leah Heyes, 15, of Northallerton, North Yorkshire, collapsed and died after swallowing two MDMA bombs in May last year.
After two teenage vendors were arrested at Teesside Crown Court on Monday, her mother, Kerry Roberts, said, “We miss Leah every day, her death left a big hole in our lives that can never be filled.
“No sentence can ever change that, but we want young people to recognize the deadly consequences of drug use.
“That adults not only say they are dangerous to spoil your fun, but that they really understand how dangerous they are.
“You have your whole life ahead of you, please don’t risk losing it.
“If Leah’s death didn’t make you think twice, what will it do?”
Judge Jonathan Carroll paid tribute to Ms. Roberts, who was prosecuting the case, and said the case was “really tragic”.
The judge sentenced Connor Kirkwood and Mitchell Southern, saying, “She was only 15 years old.
“She had everything she could live for, the excitement that young people rightly had in anticipation of their future, a new sister on the way who she had never met, all that hope and pursuit of the future that is due to evil Taking drugs were extinct in our society. “
Judge Carroll said young people believed they were indestructible and mistakenly thought drugs were fun.
“This case is for anyone who might think so – drugs destroy lives.”
The judge found that only two young people had the courage to tell the police what happened the night Leah died and said this was an example of the selfishness drugs caused.
Robert Mochrie, who defended Southern, said the tragedy reminded him of the death of 18-year-old Leah Betts in the 1990s: “This is a story that repeats itself.”
“When I was younger, it was Leah Betts who was the unfortunate woman who died taking the exact same drug,” he said.
Mr. Mochrie said that Ms. Betts’ case was used as a warning to young people at the time, adding, “If this turns out to be a good thing, hopefully the members of the local church will know exactly what happened and they will decide to do so Living life without recreational drug use. “
Ms. Betts died three days after taking an ecstasy pill at her 18th birthday party in 1995 in Latchingdon, Essex.