New mum, 17, died just two hours after giving birth

The devastated parents of a tragic teenage mother who suffered cardiac arrest after giving birth have spoken of how they hope an exam will provide them with important answers.

Teegan Barnard, 17, suffered cardiac arrest about two hours after giving birth to her healthy boy Parker at St. Richard’s Hospital in Chichester, West Sussex.

She suffered from a lack of oxygen and suffered a severe brain injury after giving birth on September 9, 2019.

Teegan was released from hospital to spend her final days at the family home in Havant, Hants, and died on October 7, 2019.

After her death, Teegan’s parents, Abbie Hallawell and Trevor Barnard, hired expert medical negligence attorneys at Irwin Mitchell to find answers and assist the family through the investigation.

Now an investigation is to be initiated in which the circumstances will be examined, why the pizza maker Teegan died.

Rebecca Brown, Irwin Mitchell Family Representative Specialist in Medical Negligence, said, “This is a truly tragic case that has turned a period of celebration into absolute despair for the family.

“Understandably, Abbie, Trevor and the rest of the family are devastated by Teegan’s death at such a young age and under such sudden circumstances.

“The past two years and trying to come to terms with Teegan’s death while having a number of concerns about what happened has been incredibly difficult.

“While nothing can make up for Teegan’s death, we are determined to assist the family in their investigation and find answers the family deserves.

“If problems are discovered during the hearing, it is important that lessons are learned from them.”

Abbie and Trevor are now raising Parker with his father Leon Forster.

Abbie said, “Teegan and the rest of the family loved it when she got pregnant. She was really looking forward to becoming parents and she would have been an absolutely fantastic mother.

“It still doesn’t seem real that the best day in Teegan’s life ended tragically and changed our whole family forever.

Parker is now raised by his grandparents and father

“It’s been more than two years since Teegan died, but time stood still for our whole family.

I know investigating and hearing the evidence of Teegan’s death will be incredibly annoying, but I have to do that for not just Teegan, but Parker as well.

“Teegan would have been so proud of Parker and that he is such a happy baby who develops every day.

“Although he grows up without his mother in his life, he is always told how much Teegan loved him and how she will always be part of our family.”

The West Sussex Coroner’s Court will commence a preliminary investigation into Teegan’s death on January 7, 2022.

It is expected to take four days.

More stories from where you live can be found at Near you.


Leave a Comment