A new year is just around the corner and with it some pop culture anniversaries that make you think: “Was that really that long ago?”
Yes, as of 2022, it’s really been 40 years since Channel 4 launched and ET released.
If you look a lot further ahead, it’s been a whole decade since Marvel’s Avengers first teamed up on the big screen!
To see how much you remember music, film and television from 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago, we developed a quiz with ten questions from each year.
The answers are at the bottom of the page – no scam!
Round 1 – 1982
1) Michael Jackson released his sixth album in November 1982, which became the world’s best-selling album of all time. What was his name
2) Channel 4 started on November 2, 1982 with Countdown, the first program shown. Who was the host back then?
3) Which famous Survivor single was the theme song for the 1982 movie Rocky III?
4) ET The Extra-Terrestrial was the highest grossing film from 1982 and up to that date. Who played Elliott in the Steven Spielberg smash hit?
5) What were the bioengineered humanoids featured in the 1982 film Blade Runner?
6) Which two singers worked together on the single Ebony and Ivory in 1982?
7) Great Britain hosted the Eurovision Song Contest in 1982 after Bucks won Fizz with Making Your Mind Up the previous year. In which city in Yorkshire was the competition held?
8) The animated festive classic The Snowman first aired on Channel 4 in 1982. It was based on a picture book by which author?
9) Which American comedian made his film debut in the buddy cop action comedy 48 Hrs. 1982?
10) Which famous American puppeteer co-directed the fantasy film The Dark Crystal in 1982?
Round 2 – 1992
11) Who was at the top of the charts for eight weeks with the single Stay?
12) Who played Mina in Bram Stoker’s Dracula, directed by Francis Ford Coppola?
13) Which actress starred in the controversial interrogation scene with the “cross leg” in Basic Instinct?
14) The TV series Heartbeat debuted in 1992 – who played the main character, Constable Nick Rowan?
15) Who was ‘The Gamesmaster’ on the Channel 4 video game show of the same name that began in 1992?
16) Songs from Doctor Spin and Ambassadors Of Funk were the top 10 hits in the UK in 1992 – which two Nintendo game series were they based on?
17) What were the first names of the characters of Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey in the television series Men Behaving Badly, which debuted in 1992?
18) Which famous TV weather presenter is featured in a sample at the beginning of the track Weather Experience on The Prodigy’s 1992 album Experience?
19) Which US state is Kevin McCallister’s family flying to in the 1992 film Home Alone 2: Lost In New York when he lands in the Big Apple after getting on the wrong plane?
20) Whitney Houston had the UK’s best-selling single of the year and Christmas number one with her cover of I Will Always Love You. Which movie, also released in 1992, was the song on the soundtrack for?
Round 3 – 2002
21) I Will Always Love You was also covered by Rik Waller in 2002, with the single reaching number 6 in the UK charts. Which TV talent show did he appear as a candidate this year?
22) Will Smith continued his credits song trend with Black Suits Comin ‘(Nod Ya Head) – which movie was this movie featured in?
23) Who played Norman Osborn in the 2002 movie Spider-Man, a role that the same actor repeated in the 2021 movie Spider-Man: No Way Home?
24) The relaunched BBC version of Top Gear started in 2002 – which host was only on the first series before being replaced by James May?
25) Australian star Holly Valance released her debut single Kiss Kiss in 2002, which topped the UK charts. What Australian soap did she appear in before starting her music career?
26) Who played real cheater Frank Abagnale Jr. in Steven Spielberg’s 2002 film Catch Me If You Can?
27) Before the series was revived 14 years later, the final episode of the X-Files aired in 2002. Which actor returned as Fox Mulder for the two-part series finale?
28) Which boy band did Elton John’s Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word cover in collaboration with the experienced singer?
29) Who played as Bond girl ‘Jinx’ in Die Another Day, which ended up being Pierce Brosnan’s last 007 movie?
30) Girls Aloud made her debut in 2002 after starring on the TV show Pop Stars: The Rivals. What was your first single called?
Round 4 – 2012
31) Marvel’s Avengers superheroes first teamed up on the big screen in 2012. What was the title of the film in Britain and Ireland, renamed The Avengers to avoid confusion with the unrelated 1960s television series?
32) The world was caught up in the Gangnam style craze in 2012 – what was the name of the South Korean singer behind the hit single?
33) Karen Gillan, who has since appeared in the Jumanji sequels and as Nebula in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, left her role in Doctor Who in 2012. What was her character called?
34) During the London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, Rowan Atkinson repeated his role as Mr. Bean to play a comedy that was accompanied by the main theme, What 1981 Sports Drama?
35) The 2012 film Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott, is a prequel to which science fiction film series that began in 1979?
36) 007 movie Skyfall was the UK’s biggest hit of the year – which UK nation was the title’s historic Bond mansion where the movie’s climax is set to take place?
37) The 8,000th episode whose ITV soap aired in November 2012?
38) David Guetta and Sia collaborated on a hit single in 2012, whose name is shared with which metal?
39) Moviegoers returned in 2012 in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to Middle-earth – Which actor played the role of young Bilbo Baggins?
40) What was the name of the Adele record, which was the world’s best-selling album of the year in 2012 and which had also earned this honor in the previous year?
1) Thriller 2) Richard Whiteley 3) Eye Of The Tiger 4) Henry Thomas 5) Replicants 6) Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder 7) Harrogate 8) Raymond Briggs 9) Eddie Murphy 10) Jim Henson 11) Shakespears Sister 12) Winona Ryder 13) Sharon Stone 14) Nick Berry 15) Patrick Moore 16) Tetris and Super Mario 17) Gary and Tony 18) Michael Fish 19) Florida 20) The Bodyguard 21) Pop Idol 22) Men In Black II 23) Willem Dafoe 24) Jason Dawe 25) Neighbors 26) Leonardo DiCaprio 27) David Duchovny 28) Blue 29) Halle Berry 30) Sound Of The Underground 31) Avengers Assemble 32) Psy 33) Amy Pond 34) Chariots Of Fire 35) Alien 36) Scotland 37) Coronation Street 38) Titan 39) Martin Freeman 40) 21