No new coronavirus deaths in Scotland for third day

0
5
No new coronavirus deaths in Scotland for third day

Nicola Sturgeon says she feels “enormous” relief after no new coronavirus deaths were recorded in Scotland for a third day.

Covid-19 figures released on Sunday showed no new deaths of people who had tested positive within the previous 24 hours.

The total number of people who have died under the measurement remains at 2,482, unchanged from Friday.

Eight more people tested positive for the virus and 452 people are in Scottish hospitals with confirmed or suspected cases.

There were five people in intensive care with confirmed cases of Covid-19 and eight with suspected cases.

The First Minister tweeted her response to the figures on Sunday afternoon, saying it was vital that people continued to follow the rules as the figures improved.

She said: “Three days in a row with no registered Covid deaths in Scotland. The sense of relief that I – & I’m sure all of us – feel as these numbers fall is enormous.

“But it’s coupled with an anxiety that we do all we can to keep Covid under control. So please follow the rules and #StaySafe.”

It comes after The Times reported holiday-makers crossing the border into Scotland could be told to go into quarantine for two weeks or face a fine.

Meanwhile, Home Secretary Priti Patel has warned the rise of mass gatherings witnessed in recent days was “unacceptable” and that it risked a second deadly spike of coronavirus.

Ms Patel, in interviews with broadcasters, also confirmed reports that Leicester faced becoming the first area to have a local lockdown imposed following a surge in infections.

Police in London had to disperse crowds causing “significant disruptions” at two unlicensed music events in south London on Saturday night while the Liver Building in Liverpool was set on fire on Friday as fans gathered to celebrate Liverpool FC’s Premier League title win.

Ms Patel said police would continue to break up such gatherings and that the “full force of the law” would come down on those found guilty of assaulting emergency service workers.

Officers in Liverpool were subject to “violent confrontations” while dozens of Metropolitan Police officers were injured in aggressive scenes as they attempted to shut down late-night parties in Brixton on Wednesday evening and in Notting Hill on Thursday.

Ms Patel, speaking to Sky News’ Sophy Ridge On Sunday programme, said: “What we’ve seen with mass gatherings and protests is unacceptable.

“The violence we’ve seen against our officers is also unacceptable.

“My message is the same – I would urge people not to participate in gatherings of that nature or protests, but I would also add if people do assault police officers, they will feel the full force of the law.

“It is simply unacceptable to have people gathering in these awful ways that we have been seeing.”

She told BBC One’s The Andrew Marr Show that Liverpool fans “did not need to go to the football ground and congregate outside the stadium” to mark their team’s first top flight title in 30 years.

Ms Patel warned that a second wave of Covid-19 would devastate the UK’s economy, saying she could not “think of anything worse than us having another wave of this awful disease”.

The Cabinet minister confirmed a report in the Sunday Times about the Government preparing to impose a lockdown “within days” on Leicester after a hike in coronavirus cases in the city.

The paper said Health Secretary Matt Hancock had been examining legal aspects of the shutdown after it was revealed 658 new cases were recorded in the Leicester area in the two weeks to June 16, having announced he was sending in a mobile testing unit to uncover how far Covid-19 had spread.

Ms Patel said the Government was supporting the local authority to take the necessary steps to “control the virus”.

“Well, that is correct,” said Ms Patel, when asked by the BBC’s Andrew Marr whether the Leicester reports were accurate.

She added: “There will be support going into Leicester and in fact the Health Secretary was in touch with many of us over the weekend explaining some of the measures, the support on testing, resources that will go into the local authority as well.”

But Jonathan Ashworth, Labour’s shadow health secretary and Leicester South MP, said Ms Patel had “got slightly in a muddle” about a possible district lockdown.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s World At The Weekend programme, Mr Ashworth said he had been in touch with Mr Matt Hancock, adding: “Based on the conversations we’ve had in the last 24 hours I don’t believe a local lockdown in Leicester is about to be proposed.”

Mr Ashworth said the focus was on securing more home testing kits and said “if necessary” shops might have to close.

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here