Operation Golden Orb: The secret plans being drawn up for Charles and Camilla's coronation

The Palace has started drawing up plans for Prince Charles’ coronation under the codename Operation Golden Orb, according to reports.

Insiders suggest his ceremony will be significantly less lavish than the Queen’s, which reportedly cost £1.5m the equivalent of £46m in today’s money.

Charles is to be crowned King alongside Queen Camilla, and it is thought that he is hoping for a ‘shorter’ and ‘far cheaper’ ceremony than that of his mothers, which took place in 1953.

It is also reported that the number of guests attending the coronation will be lashed by three quarters, The Mirror reports.

One royal insider said Harry and Meghan may not even join Charles on the balcony of Buckingham Palace after the historic event.

The future King is expected to make sure his coronation is more representative of different community groups and faiths.

This is part of his vision of a modern ‘slimmed-down’ monarchy, a royal source told the Mail on Sunday.

The Queen’s ceremony on June 2, 1953 was influenced by Britain’s global empire at the time.

Although the empire was in decline, the UK still had more than 70 overseas territories when the Queen was crowned.

It was only in 1997 that Prince Charles himself declared the ‘end of the Empire’ when Hong Kong was transferred to China.

Many of Britain’s former territories are now part of the Commonwealth, which the future King will lead when he ascends the throne.

Some 2,000 troops from the Commonwealth and 500 from the ‘colonies’ took part in the Queen’s coronation parade, which involved a total of more than 40,000 armed forces personnel.

More than 8,000 dignitaries, including representatives from British protectorates overseas, were taken to Westminster Abbey in the procession.

The Queen had to change her outfit several times during the ceremony, which was viewed by an estimated 277 million people across the world and lasted more than three hours.

Charles’ service will be a more scaled back affair, with a maximum of 2,000 guests, the Mail on Sunday reports.

A source told the newspaper: “It will be a slimmed-down monarchy on display throughout. I wouldn’t be surprised to see just Charles and Camilla, Kate and William and their children on the Buckingham Palace balcony afterwards.”

An insider said there are ‘binders and binders’ of paperwork on the accession and coronation, although Clarence House denied any detailed plans had been drawn up.

The Coronation service was rewritten in recent years to modernize the language and shorten the event.

Although it will be an Anglican service, there will be a place for other religions and Christian denominations.

Charles previously showed his embrace of other religions in Britain by saying he would like to be known as ‘Defender of Faith’ – instead of ‘Defender of the Faith’.

The costs of the ceremony will be met by the taxpayer and Charles is said to be keen that it should be ‘good value’.

Leave a Comment