Oversized trainers may have been a 'factor' in death of school boy, inquest told

A 10-year-old boy who died after hitting his head while playing soccer at school wore oversized sneakers which may have been “one of the factors” in the incident.

Yasir Hussain of Ward End in Birmingham died five days after his injury at Leigh Primary School on November 12th.

An investigation at Birmingham Coroner’s Court found that he was playing in goal and hit his head while trying to save a ball Birmingham Live.

The school first responders called ambulance, but after a 90-minute delay in which Yasir had “improved” the ambulance was canceled and his mother, Nazia Parveen, agreed to take him home.

His condition worsened hours later and he died on November 17th at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.

Ms. Parveen said her son dreamed of becoming a footballer.

First aider Zahira Mabine, who was in the playground at the time, told the investigation that Yasir’s great coaches “may have been one of the factors” that led to his fall.

She said, “I cleaned Yasir’s legs because they were quite muddy. I noticed that his sneakers were too big for him.

“I could get three fingers between his heel and the back of his trainer.

“I mentioned that [his mum and grandmother].

“I was told these coaches were who he wanted and that’s why they got them for him.

“I said it was really important that he was the right size shoe because they could make him fall.”

The investigation was video-monitored from the school playground, but the “disjointed” tape failed to capture the moment Yasir fell, according to senior medical examiner for Birmingham and Solihull, Louise Hunt.

Ms. Mabine described Yasir’s appearance after examining him: “When I saw him, he looked quite pale at first – his face and lips looked pale. I got him to sit on a first aid chair.

“I asked Yasir what had happened – but he couldn’t explain what had happened to me. He said to me ‘I don’t remember’.

“I asked him where it hurt and said, ‘My head hurts’. I noticed that his right eye was also closed.

“I started examining his head and when I noticed there was a sizable bump just above the right side of his ear that lifted up and grazed the bump as well.

“It was like (the size of) a one pence piece. It was raised and visibly noticeable. He closed his right eye and tried to recline his head and said, ‘I want to go to sleep’.

“That was my business. I wanted a second opinion.”

A cold compress was placed on the injury and the opinion of another first responder was obtained, who agreed that they should call an ambulance.

Yasir’s coat was placed over him and a blanket was placed over his legs as it was cold outside.

He was later dragged into it before being picked up by a loved one with his mother.

Deputy Headmistress Ms. Azam told the investigation, “He (Yasir) couldn’t remember what happened – but the main worry was that his head was really hurting and he just wanted to go to sleep.

“That immediately rang alarm bells and so the reason was made to call the ambulance.”

He later started speaking in sentences and asked to go home 90 minutes later.

Ms. Azam added, “At that point I was a little more reassured that he was actually not as hurt as I originally thought, that he was communicating with me and that he was getting better, not worse.”

She added tearfully, “I told mom if she had any concerns about picking up a phone and ringing for an ambulance or taking it to A&E. I asked mom twice if she knew what I meant and she said she did. That was the last time I saw Yasir. “

Ms. Parveen said her son dreamed of becoming a footballer.

“He used to support Aston Villa. He wanted to be a footballer. Football was his favorite thing,” she said.

“He liked it there (school). He has a good group of friends. I liked this school.”

She said the school called her about the incident and told her to “go to school quickly”.

She said his head hurt and he was given some acetaminophen. She was supposed to take him to the hospital when he got worse, and she stayed with him the whole time.

At home five and a half hours later, he “got worse all of a sudden,” she said.

The investigation continues.


Leave a Comment