Police: 8 dead in shooting at FedEx facility in Indianapolis

The shooter was not identified immediately, and investigators were in the process of conducting interviews and gathering information. Cook said it was too early to say if the shooter was an employee at the facility.

“We are still trying to determine the exact reason and cause of this incident,” she said.

It was the at the latest in a series of mass shootings in the US there were eight people last month fatally shot at massage companies in the Atlanta area and 10 died in gunfire in a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado.

It was at least the third mass shooting that year in Indianapolis alone. Five people, including a pregnant woman, were there shot in January, and a man was charged with murder three adults and one child before kidnapping his daughter during an argument in a house in March.

Police were called to report shooting just after 11 p.m. Thursday, and officers “came into contact with an incident involving an active shooter,” Cook said. The shooter later killed himself.

“The officers replied, they came in and did their job. Many of them are trying to face it because this is a sight no one should see, ”said Cook.

FedEx issued a statement that it is working with the authorities and is working to obtain more information.

“We are aware of the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground facility near Indianapolis Airport. Safety is our top priority and we think of everyone concerned, ”the statement said.

Family members gathered at a nearby hotel to await news from loved ones. Some said employees are not allowed to have their phones with them while working shifts in the facility, making them difficult to contact. WTHR TV reported.

Ashlee Floyd said the Indianapolis Star that her father has worked at the facility for two decades. She said he usually calls his wife around 11:25 p.m. But he didn’t call Thursday so the family tried to contact him but he didn’t answer.

“I don’t know if he’s okay. I don’t know if he’s hurt. I don’t know if he’s gone. I’m scared right now,” she said.

Live video from news outlets at the crime scene showed a crime scene tape in the parking lot in front of the facility.

A witness who said he worked at the facility related WUNSCH-TV that he saw a man with a gun after hearing several shots.

“I saw a man with a submachine gun, an automatic rifle, and he was shooting outdoors,” said Jeremiah Miller.

Another man told the story WTTV that his niece was in the driver’s seat of her car when the fire broke out and she was wounded.

“She was shot in the left arm,” said Parminder Singh. “She is fine, she is in the hospital now.”

He said his niece didn’t know the shooter.

Leave a Comment