Police take bride to her wedding after car breaks down

Lydia Evans-Hughes, 29, was on the way to the venue with her parents Yvette and Alan Fletcher when their classic car broke down last Friday (August 27th).

Fortunately, Lydia was taken to church by a kind-hearted policeman.

“I was at the reception point the night before,” explained Lydia.

“But when the car pulled away it was fine for the first five miles – then it just gave up.

“I was afraid of climbing over the guardrail and standing on the side of the road.”

Traffic officials soon arrived at the scene, however, and Inspector Matt Geddes made sure she got to church on time to say “yes” to the groom – Tidur Evans-Hughes, 31.

“They saw it was a wedding car and offered us a ride. That was the first time that day that I had tears of relief.”

The bride’s transport had left Soughton Hall near Mold, Flintshire, and was driving to church on the A55 when it broke down.

Insp Geddes then came to take the bridal shower and put on his blues and twos for a more spectacular performance.

Lydia added, “He asked how much gig we wanted to do and my dad said a big one, so he put on blues and twos.

“Because everything happened so quickly and how quickly they showed up, I wasn’t too late at all – it couldn’t have been planned any better.

“I’m just incredibly happy. All in all, it went really well.”

The happy couple had already postponed their wedding twice due to the Covid pandemic and hoped they would be happy for the third time.

Lydia added: “We were supposed to get married in June last year but it was delayed because of Covid, then in May this year but that was also postponed.

“The fact that we finally have our day and that everyone could be there is simply priceless. It was such a nice end.

“The most incredible and sincere thanks to the police. What would we have done without them?”

Civil servant Lydia and plumbing and heating engineer Tidur got engaged in November 2018 after a six-year romance.

Lydia Evans-Hughes with husband Tidur on their wedding day

Lydia added, “I hope it goes smoothly now and we can settle down and enjoy married life.”

Insp. Geddes from the North Wales Police said: “I was glad to have helped.

“The somewhat unusual arrival caused quite a few smiles after a stressful situation. Being stuck at the side of a busy A55 is not nice in the best of times.

“The bride looked beautiful, the sun was shining and she was just a little late. I wish the couple a wonderful day and a long and happy life together.”

Police also posted about the incident on Twitter, including a photo showing the stranded bridal shower on the side of the road.

Traffic Wales wrote: “The course of true love never went smoothly …

“Our traffic cops arrived on site this afternoon to help a bride in a broken vehicle!

“We removed the vehicle while @NWPolice took them to the ceremony. I wish the bridal couple all the best! “

Lydia Evans-Hughes with North Wales Police Inspector Matt Geddes on their wedding day.

You can find more stories from where you live at Near you.


Leave a Comment