Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley, Donald Trump’s doctor, has given an update on the president’s health from the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Dr. Conley said the president was “doing very well” after being hospitalized as a precaution.
The first lady is recovering at home and showing no signs of hospitalization.
He said: “The team and I are extremely pleased with the progress the president has made.” The president had experienced traffic jams, fatigue and coughs.
The medical team said they were monitoring him very carefully for the effects of the disease. He said he has no difficulty breathing or walking, and has no oxygen.
He is said to be “in a very good mood” and to have told the medical team that he felt he could “get out of here”.
The president had special antibody therapy as well as the antiviral remdesivir.
He has been free of fever for more than 24 hours and continues to work.
Doctors said they couldn’t set a date for the president’s discharge. If he needs the full remdesivir course, he will stay in the hospital for five days.
New cases have surfaced with some of the President’s top advisors and allies.
Attention was particularly drawn to the event at the White House last Saturday where the Supreme Court candidate was introduced by Mr. Trump. Several participants announced that they tested positive for the virus.
Among them are former White House adviser Kellyanne Conway, the president of the University of Notre Dame, and at least two Republican lawmakers – Utah Senator Mike Lee and North Carolina Senator Thom Tillis.
Although the ceremony to announce Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination was held outdoors, the attendees sat close together and few wore masks.
Some also mingled at a smaller event at the White House.
The White House said Trump’s expected “few days” stay at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center is precautionary and will continue to work in the hospital’s presidential suite, which is equipped to perform his official duties.
The White House doctor said he was being treated with remdesivir, an antiviral drug, after taking another experimental drug at the White House.
The president’s decision to leave the White House for the hospital ended a dramatic day in Washington on Friday.
The president, who downplayed the virus threat for months, was forced to cancel all campaign events a month before the election as he battled a virus that has killed more than 205,000 Americans and hits others in its orbit.
Mr Trump left the White House wearing a mask on Friday night and gave reporters a thumbs up but did not speak before boarding Marine One.
Crew members, intelligence agents, and White House staff wore face-covers to protect themselves from the President on board the helicopter.
In a video taken before he left for Walter Reed, Mr Trump said, “I think I am very well, but we will make sure everything goes well.”
“Fine, I think! Thanks to all. LOVE !!! “He wrote in his first tweet from the hospital on Friday night.
Mr Trump first announced that he had tested positive in a tweet around 1 a.m. on Friday – hours after he returned from a political fundraiser on Thursday afternoon.
He had gone to the event and said nothing to the crowd despite knowing he was being exposed to a volunteer with the disease that has infected millions in America and killed more than a million people worldwide.
First lady Melania Trump also tested positive and has mild symptoms.
She is believed to be isolated in the White House.
Trump’s campaign manager, Bill Stepien, who has “mild flu-like symptoms” also tested positive.
On Saturday, Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson, the third Senate Republican, publicly confirmed that he tested positive at the current infection rate, despite Mr Johnson’s failure to attend the Rose Garden event last week.
Mr Trump’s diagnosis came at an already turbulent time in Washington and around the world. The US was hit by heated presidential elections and the pandemic took a heavy human and economic toll.
His immediate campaign events have all been canceled and his next debate with Democrat Joe Biden, scheduled for October 15, is now in question.
Mr Trump has been trying all year – and only on Wednesday – to convince the American public that the worst of the pandemic is over and he has consistently downplayed concerns about being personally vulnerable.
He has largely refused to adhere to basic public health guidelines – including those issued by his own administration – such as wearing face coverings in public and practicing social distancing.
Until he tested positive, he continued to host campaign events, which were attended by thousands of supporters, often maskless.
“I didn’t feel any vulnerability at all,” he told reporters in May.
With elections coming up in a month’s time, he is calling on states and cities to reopen and reduce or eliminate the shutdown rules despite ongoing virus outbreaks.
The White House tried to maintain a normal business atmosphere on Friday.
“President Trump is still in a good mood, has mild symptoms and has worked all day,” said press secretary Kayleigh McEnany.
“Out of caution and on the recommendation of his doctor and medical experts, the President will be working in the President’s offices of Walter Reed for the next few days.”
The president’s doctor said in a memo that Mr Trump had received a dose of an experimental antibody combination from Regeneron that is in clinical trials.
The Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley said that Mr. Trump “remains tired but in good spirits” and that a team of experts is evaluating both the President and the First Lady on what to do next.
Late on Friday, Dr. Conley issued an update stating that Mr. Trump is “doing very well” and “does not need supplemental oxygen”.
But he said, “in consultation with specialists, we decided to start remdesivir therapy,” an antiviral drug.
“He has completed his first dose and is resting comfortably,” the doctor wrote.
The 50-year-old first lady, according to Dr. Conley “mild cough and headache,” and the rest of the first family, including Trump’s son Barron, who lives in the White House, tested negative.
Mr Trump is 74 years old and clinically obese, putting him at greater risk of serious complications from a virus that has infected more than seven million people nationwide.
Both Mr Biden and his running mate Kamala Harris tested negative, their campaign said.
Vice President Mike Pence tested negative for the virus Friday morning and “remains in good health,” his spokesman said.
Mr Pence should resume his campaign plan after his test.
Ms. Barrett, who was with Mr. Trump and many others on Saturday and attended a meeting with lawmakers on Capitol Hill, also tested negative, the White House said.
It has been confirmed that she had a mild case of Covid earlier this year and has now recovered.
Many White House officials and senior administrators have been tested, but the extent of the president’s outbreak may not be known for some time as it can take days for a test to detect infection.
Officials from the White House Medical Department followed the president’s contacts.
Mr Trump’s handling of the pandemic was already a focal point in his race against Mr Biden, who had spent much of the summer outside the campaign and at his Delaware home, citing concerns about the virus.
Mr Biden has since resumed a more active campaign plan, but with small, socially distant crowds.
He also regularly wears a mask in public, which Mr Trump made fun of in the debate on Tuesday night.
“I don’t wear masks like him,” said Trump.
“He’s got a mask every time you see him. He could speak 200 feet from me and he shows up with the biggest mask I’ve ever seen.”