Prince Andrew served with suit alleging he abused teenager, her attorneys say

Lawyers for a woman who accused Prince Andrew of sexually abusing her as a teenager said he was served on a federal lawsuit.

An affidavit filed on Friday in New York’s Southern District, where Virginia Giuffre filed the lawsuit last month, said the Duke of York was served on August 27 at his home, the Royal Lodge in Windsor.

In a September 6 letter, Andrew’s UK-based attorney denied whether the lawsuit was viable, saying the lawsuit appeared not to have been served under due process under the Hague Convention.

David Boies, an attorney for Giuffre, declined, saying in a letter to the judge that the attorney’s views were “inconsistent” with the Convention.

A court hearing is scheduled for Monday.

The lawsuit alleges that Jeffrey Epstein, the multi-million dollar financier who died by suicide in 2019 after being arrested on state sex trafficking charges, and Epstein’s longtime associate Ghislaine Maxwell Giuffre coerced Andrew into sexual acts 20 years ago.

Maxwell was charged with sex trafficking and other crimes. That year she pleaded not guilty in federal court.

Giuffre’s lawsuit alleges Andrew molested her in three locations – London and New York, and Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands. She had previously described the allegations against NBC’s “Dateline” in detail.

Andrew, who has denied having sex with Giuffre, told the BBC in 2019 that he did not remember meeting her, despite a popular photo showing the two of them with Maxwell. Andrew has also said that he was at a pizzeria with his daughter on the day in 2001 that Giuffre claims they had a sexual encounter in London.

Leave a Comment