LONDON – Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has undergone a successful medical procedure for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.
99-year-old Philip was first admitted to a London hospital last month after feeling unwell. The palace later confirmed he had an infection and he was transferred to another hospital on Monday to continue treatment and have tests for heart condition.
“The Duke of Edinburgh went through a successful procedure at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital yesterday for a pre-existing heart condition,” the palace said in a statement early Thursday. “His Royal Highness will stay in the hospital for a few days to treat, rest and recuperate.”
The palace had previously said he should stay in the hospital at least until the end of the week.
St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, which is operated by the publicly funded National Health Service, claims to have Europe’s largest specialized cardiovascular service.
Download the NBC News App for breaking news and politics
The Queen and Philip both received their Covid-19 vaccinations in January.
During the coronavirus pandemic, the royal couple stayed at Windsor Castle, about 30 miles west of London. The UK has that highest death toll in Europe.
Philip retired from public service in 2017 and is the longest-serving royal consort in British history. He will be 100 years old in June.
In April, he released a written statement praising those involved in the fight against the coronavirus.
Philip and the Queen celebrated their 73rd birthday in November. They have four children together – Prince Charles, born in 1948; Princess Anne, born in 1950; Prince Andrew, born 1960; and Prince Edward, born in 1964 – along with dozens of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Philip has had a number of health issues over the past few years, and was last hospitalized in December 2019 when he spent four nights in the hospital because, according to the palace, treatment for a pre-existing condition was planned, although it was not disclosed.