Sajid Javid confirms vaccine passport plans for nightclubs have been scrapped in shock U-turn

The government has made a dramatic U-turn in its vaccine passport plans.

Today (Sunday September 12th) Health Minister Sajid Javid confirmed vaccination records for nightclubs and major events will not take place.

The passports should be introduced in England by the end of this month.

Continue reading: Mask requirement could return if Covid cases increase in the fall

Brits would have had to prove they both had covid jabs to get into crowded venues and large events, including nightclubs.

The plans sparked widespread criticism from nightclub bosses who said the plans were rushed “with no real details behind them”.

As part of the program, members of the public should have provided evidence that they received two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine to gain access to clubs and other crowded events.

The Night Time Industries Association said the plans could have crippled the industry and seen nightclubs face discrimination cases.

There had also been a backlash from Tory MPs.

Mr Javid confirmed to the BBC that the passports had been scrapped.

On the Andrew Marr Show, Mr. Javid said, “We shouldn’t be doing things for the sake of everyday activity, but we were right to look at them properly.

“We’ve been looking at it carefully and while we should keep it in reserve as a possible option, I am pleased to announce that we will not be pursuing the vaccine passport plans.”

On the same television broadcast last week, Vaccination Minister Nadhim Zahawi said that the end of September was the right time to start the vaccination record program for websites with large crowds, as anyone over the age of 18 would have been offered two vaccinations by then, and it was that “best way” to keep the night industry open.

Stay up to date on places to visit, shopping and more with our daily email updates.

.

Leave a Comment