Second boy from Afghan family fleeing Taliban dies after eating poisonous mushrooms

It was believed that after arriving at a refugee facility in Poland, under as yet unexplained circumstances, the youth ate one of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world

The children are said to have eaten death cap mushrooms (

Image: Getty Images / iStockphoto)

A second boy from an Afghan family evacuated to Poland has reportedly died after eating mushrooms.

The six-year-old died on Friday, doctors said – just 24 hours after his five-year-old brother.

It believed that under as-yet-unexplained circumstances, the youngsters ate death cap mushrooms – one of the most poisonous in the world.

The boys’ 17-year-old sister was also ill, but has since been discharged from the hospital.

The family arrived at a refugee facility in Podkowa Lesna near Warsaw on August 23.

The children then became unwell a few days later – before the tragedy struck earlier this week.

Do you have a story Send an email to [email protected]

The family was flown to Poland after the Taliban took over Afghanistan
(

Image:

Agency Anadolu via Getty Images)

The youngest child was pronounced brain dead on Thursday, the second death a day later.

The six-year-old had a liver transplant earlier this week, but his condition did not improve.

“The death of the child has been recorded,” said the Children’s Memorial Health Institute in Warsaw NDTV.

The prosecutor has opened an investigation into the incident.

Jakub Dudziak, a spokesman for the immigration office, denied a press report that the children had eaten the mushrooms because they were not adequately nourished in the center.

The evacuees are given “three meals a day consisting of various ingredients with appropriate calorific value, including dairy products, meat, vegetables, fruit and drinks,” he said.

“In connection with this unfortunate accident, staff at immigration centers will raise awareness among Afghan citizens not to consume products of unknown origin,” added Dudziak.

According to the Polish website oko.press, the father of the two boys worked for the British Army in Afghanistan for several years.

The family was then flown from Kabul to Uzbekistan at the request of the UK last month when the Taliban took power before being flown to Poland.

Amanita phalloides – commonly known as death cap mushrooms – is one of the most poisonous of all known mushrooms.

They are widespread across Europe and are similar to a number of edible mushrooms – meaning they can be easily mistaken for and eaten.

Sign up for our daily newsletter to stay up to date on all important information at www.mirror.co.uk/email .

.

Leave a Comment