Stephanie Slater kidnapper ruled too dangerous to be released from prison

0
8
Stephanie Slater kidnapper ruled too dangerous to be released from prison

The man who kidnapped Birmingham estate agent Stephanie Slater and kept her in a wooden box has been ruled too dangerous to be released from jail.

Michael Sams, now 78, was given four life terms in 1993.

His case was automatically referred to the Parole Board by the Ministry of Justice.

According to a report in The Sun, the board decided Sams is still a danger to the public and parole was denied. His case will be considered again next year.

It was in January 1992 that, under a false name, he posed as a buyer wanting to view a semi-detached house on the market in Turnberry Road, Great Barr.

He held a knife to Stephanie’s throat and then blindfolded her and drove her 70 miles to his workshop in Newark, Nottinghamshire, where she was kept in a wooden box hidden inside a wheelie bin for eight days.

He had called her workplace and told the receptionist: “Stephanie’s been kidnapped. A ransom demand will be in the post tomorrow. If you contact police, she will die.”

Sams demanded £175,000 so he could escape his failing business and third marriage.

Victim Stephanie Slater

Stephanie was freed after her boss paid the ransom and Sams was arrested after his first wife recognised his voice on a recording played on Crimewatch.

He was jailed for life in 1993 for kidnapping Stephanie and for the kidnap and murder of Julie Dart in Leeds in 1991.

Stephanie died on August 31, 2017, from cancer at the age of 50. Friends say she never got over her ordeal.

Sams has previously said he prefers life behind bars, bragging that “OAPs in prison are far better off than those in the community.”

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here