Suspect in Capitol attack suffered delusions, source says

In online posts that have since been removed, Green described that he was under government control and that he was being watched. Describing himself as a supporter of the Nation of Islam and its founder Louis Farrakhan, he spoke of going through a difficult period in which he relied on his faith. Some of the messages were captured by the SITE group, which is tracking online activity.

“To be honest, the last few years have been tough and the last few months harder,” he wrote in late March. “I’ve been tried some of the greatest, most unimaginable tests of my life. I am currently unemployed after leaving my job partly due to suffering, but ultimately looking for a spiritual journey. “

It marked the second death that year for the U.S. Capitol Police, which were still struggling to recover from the January 6 insurrection. The attack underscored that the building and campus – and the officials tasked with protecting them – remain potential targets for violence.

Authorities installed a huge fence around the perimeter of the Capitol and restricted traffic on the streets closest to the building for months, but had begun to withdraw some of the emergency measures. And the recent incident could delay the gradual reopening of the building site to the public.

“I just ask the public to keep the US Capitol Police and their families in their prayers,” said Pittman. “This has been an extremely difficult time for the US Capitol Police after the events of January 6th and now the events that took place here today.

Police identified the murdered officer as William “Billy” Evans, an 18-year-old veteran who was a member of the department’s first aid unit.

House spokeswoman Nancy Pelosi hailed Evans as a “martyr for our democracy” while Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer said he was “heartbroken”. Pelosi and Schumer both spoke to members of Evans’ family on Friday.

President Joe Biden said in a statement that he and his wife were broken when they learned of the attack and expressed condolences to Evans’ family. He raised flags at the White House to lower them to half the staff.

In 2013, Capitol Police and Intelligence officials fatally shot and killed a woman in her car after she led her on a high-speed chase that began outside the White House. Miriam Carey’s family said she had postpartum depression with psychosis but was not dangerous.

Friday’s crash and shooting occurred at a security checkpoint near the Capitol, usually used by Senators and staff on weekdays, although most were out of the building for the current break. The attack occurred about 100 meters from the entrance to the building on the Senate side of the Capitol.

The Washington area remains on the sidelines of Congress for nearly three months after a crowd of insurgents loyal to former President Donald Trump stormed the building to confirm Biden’s presidential victory.

Five people died in the January 6 riot, including Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who was part of an outnumbered force trying to hold off the intruders. It took hours for the National Guard to arrive, a delay that has led to months of cueing among key decision-makers of the day.

Nearly 140 Capitol Police officers were wounded in the attack, including officers who were not issued helmets who suffered head injuries and one with broken ribs, according to the officers’ union. Two officers, one from the Capitol Police and one from the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, died of suicide after the January 6 attack.

The Capitol Police and National Guard forces were soon called upon to secure the Capitol during Biden’s inauguration and faced yet another potential threat in early March tied to conspiracy theories falsely claiming Trump would retake the presidency.

The area was closed for hours on Friday but has since reopened, and National Guard troops stood outside the building on Saturday.

Leave a Comment