There really cannot be a better time we wean ourselves from oil. Even before the spread of Covid-19, the oil industry performed poorly. Now that the pandemic is lowering global demand, it is completely fucked.
Oil prices fall to a low. On Friday, Western Canadian Select crude oil, the benchmark used to track the price of Alberta’s tar sands, fell to $ 5 dollars a barrel. FIVE. DOLLARS.
Here are some things that are currently more expensive than a barrel of Alberta oil (and still a better investment):
- A pack of ten toilet paper. Even before people started hoarding toilet paper and starting retailers boost prices, a pack of ten toilet paper was what, seven dollars? Eight?
- A liter of hot sauce. A gallon of Crystal is about worth it two barrels from Alberta rough. A half gallon from Cholula is over $ 20, or you can get a variety pack of the small bottles over the the same. And that’s honestly a bargain.
- Virtually all the shit I do to lay On my face. Creams, cleansers, facial oils: all maybe snake oil, all more expensive than crude oil.
- 8 light bulbs
- A Beyond Burger
- A month from Netflix
- A kind of cute, creepy Greta Thunberg doll
- A to copy from The Climate Crisis and the Global Green New Deal: The Political Economy of Saving the Planet, by Noam Chomsky and climate economist Robert Pollin
- Two ounces hand sanitizer. If you buy the beautiful kind, hand sanitizer can bring you back way more than five dollars.
- Treatment for Covid-19 if you do not have health insurance. OK, this actually makes me sad.
Officials are likely to go extend a lifeline for oil companies. Which is stupid.