Prince Harry and Meghan Markel didn’t have a secret wedding three days before the royal ceremony, according to the Archbishop of Canterbury.
During an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan had claimed that she and Harry were having a secret wedding ceremony in their “back yard” that was being led by Justin Welby.
However, for the first time since the utterances, the archbishop spoke out, confirming that the legal wedding was in fact the royal ceremony that took place on Saturday, May 19, 2018 and was watched by millions of people around the world.
During the television interview, Meghan told Oprah that she and Harry “got married” three days before the official event.
She said to Oprah, “Nobody knows, but we called the archbishop and just said,” Look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world, but we want our union between us. “
She said the vows they made were “just the two of us in our back yard with the Archbishop of Canterbury”.
Both Harry and Meghan said it was “just the three of us”.
However, many doubted that the marriage could have taken place as it did not take place in a licensed building and did not involve additional witnesses.
In an interview with the Italian newspaper la Repubblica, the archbishop was asked what had happened. He said the legal wedding was on May 19th, but added, “I won’t say what happened at other meetings.”
He said, “If any of you ever speak to a priest, expect him to keep this conversation confidential.
“It doesn’t matter who I speak to. Before the wedding, I had a few private and pastoral meetings with the Duke and Duchess.
“The legal wedding was on Saturday. I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious crime if I had signed it because I knew it was false. “
The newspaper also printed a certified copy of a marriage document for the couple dated May 19, 2018, bearing the names of Charles and Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, as witnesses.
The secret wedding proposal was just a revelation in the Winfrey interview. Meghan and Harry accused an unnamed member of the royal family – neither the Queen nor the Duke of Edinburgh – of voicing concerns about how dark their son Archie’s skin tone would be before he was born.
Buckingham Palace previously said the issues raised in Harry and Meghan’s interview, particularly during the race, were “worrying” and were being raised privately by the Queen and her family.