Coronavirus cases have increased in the past few weeks after the government eased lockdown restrictions.
With the number of cases and infection rates rising, hospitals are facing the prospect of treating more patients who are seriously ill with the virus.
The number of coronavirus patients treated in hospitals is starting to rise again as more people become infected with Covid-19 after interacting with friends and returning to public places like pubs and shops.
READ MORE: Kate peacemaker as William and Harry at the unveiling of Diana statue amid “tension”
The latest statistics released by Public Health England show that as of June 15, 1,028 patients were being treated for coronavirus in NHS hospitals across England. Although that number is far from the peak of the crisis, when 34,000 coronavirus patients were hospitalized at the same time, cases are on the rise.
The number of patients also varies greatly across the country.
Of the 203 NHS trusts monitored on the government’s coronavirus dashboard, 81 of them are not currently treating coronavirus patients. In some areas, however, the situation is very different.
The graph below shows the 10 NHS trusts in England that care for the most coronavirus patients.
The Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust has the highest number of coronavirus patients in England and currently treats 64 patients according to the latest update. The trust also has 12 patients on ventilation to help fight the virus.
Lancashire hospitals have also been hit hard by the surge in cases, with the East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust currently caring for 56 Covid patients while the Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has a further 43 cases.
The 10 NHS Trusts Treating Most Covid Patients Are:
- Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust – 64 patients
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust – 54
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – 43
- Bolton NHS Foundation Trust – 42
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust – 40
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust – 39
- Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust – Dec.
- Barts Health NHS Trust – Jan.
- St. George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – Dec.
- Leicester University Hospitals NHS Trust – 23
Outside of the 10 NHS trusts, there are many more currently treating coronavirus patients.
On the map below you can see how many patients are treated in your trusted office.