A woman was hospitalized three times after being bitten by a spider lurking under the toilet seat.
Jo Kenyon, 34, was sitting on the toilet when the insect – believed to be a fake widow – rushed out and sank its fangs into her thigh.
She flushed it in the pan and called the emergency number 111, where the doctors told her to rush to the hospital fearing it might become infected.
Doctors had to burst the huge blister that formed under the fangs – and the radio producer had to go back to A&E twice to drain the mass.
The bite mark was so painful that she could barely walk, and the doctors feared it could lead to sepsis that threatened lies.
Radio producer Jo from Leeds said: “The doctors said that if I had not come right away, the bite could have caused sepsis and possibly killed me.
“Walking was very painful for the first few days and then for weeks when I tried to sit down.
“I’ve been scared of spiders my whole life. Since everyone knows how bad I am with spiders and how far I go to avoid them, most people’s reaction has been that it can only happen to me!”
Jo had just woken up and stumbled into the bathroom to use the toilet when the spider bit her last year.
She felt a burning sensation on her left thigh and immediately jumped up from the toilet.
Jo said, “I can only describe it like walking past someone with a lit cigarette in their hand.
“It was such a sudden and strange burning sensation that I immediately jumped up and thought, what the hell was that?
“I lifted the toilet seat and saw this huge spider hiding under it.
“I immediately screamed at the sight, managed to knock it into the bowl and immediately rinse it.
“It was so huge, it was a really big ******! It totally freaked me out.
“I looked in the mirror and I could see those bite marks – tiny stitches from the pliers.
“I left it for half an hour, but it really hurt and when I looked in the mirror again I could see that everything was blistered.”
Jo called 111 just in case the seriousness of her situation became clear as the operators told her to go to the emergency room immediately because she feared the spider bite might become infected.
When Jo arrived at Otley Hospital, she received shocking news that the bite could have become septic and kill her if she had left him any longer.
Jo said, “It was really scary to know that a spider bite could have killed me.
“It was especially scary considering it happened in England – I had postponed going to Australia for years for fear of spiders, but I was bitten in Yorkshire.”
Jo ended up three times in a week for the spider bite that caused doctors to burst and empty the bladder before cleaning and putting on her leg.
Her third visit to the hospital came after the pain from the bite became so severe that she could barely walk and barely sleep.
Jo said, “I could barely sit down when the pain was at its worst, the bite was just in such an uncomfortable place.
“I could barely walk and had to sleep on my stomach forever because it was just too painful to sleep normally.
“It took months for the pain and oozing to stop and by that time it was winter so all I wanted was a bath, but I couldn’t get that area of my leg soaked so all I could do was take a shower.”
After months of painful recovery, Jos Biss healed, but it left a scar.
Doctors told her that there are two types of spiders in the UK that can bite people – garden spiders and false widows – but they couldn’t tell which they were.
Jo said: “I would just tell everyone to always look under the toilet seat – you never know what might be hiding there!”